No announcement yet.

Do you swap plants on the lottie?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On our site we tend to give our surplus to anyone who wants it. If you have something and they have something that you both want then it's a swap. My Parsley bed did so well I was telling people to help themselves if they wanted a bunch because cutting it encourages new growth.

Car boots are a good idea too. It can help you raise money for next years seeds or allotment rent!

Comment

We do swap plants at my allotment, both seedlings and finished produce. I got my allotment fairly late last year, and I had missed the boat with sowing my own seeds in February, March. I felt absolutely overwhelmed with the amount of friendly people on my allotment that gave me freely of their seedlings - courgette, chard, peppers, caulis, brussels - all with no expectation of getting anything in return. I think they all took pity on my because my allotment was in a right state. This year I'm planning on giving them all a cool courgette (Zephyr I think it's called), chilli plants and some sorrel to return the favour and show my appreciation
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I work with children on a community garden which is handy as I take my surplus for them! In fact, I often sow extra on purpose so I have plenty to take as I generally only grow about 2 or 3 of each things for myself due to lack of space.
        http://ecoprincess.blogspot.com

Comment

We don't do anything formal on our site, it's only a small site of about 10 plots so you don't necessarily see anybody when you are there (the peace is bliss , would hate to be mithered all the time) and over the years I have got better at not growing quite so many excess plants. However I do tend to give away excess at my work, my OH's work and family. Mum did very well out of some rather leggy toms a couple of years ago which was nice. Also useful to have a few extras myself to back fill for any other failures so the plan does sometimes get a bit flexible.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

We have an "official" route through the allotment shop where any spare seedlings can be donated and sold on to benefit the society's funds. Unofficially we always give away seedlings to our neighbours who have space for them. Although the favour is rarely returned with seedlings we usually get given surplus produce from gluts or over zealous courgette plants! The society also has an open day in June where we have a plant stall but by then most of the veg seedlings are pretty much planted.

Comment

We are having our first official plant swap day at the allotments at the end of April. As I have been lucky with PSB seeds I plan to make some newspaper "pots" to give them away in - that way I don't lose out on plant pots for other seedlings.

Comment

I don't as I'm the only person who seems to grow out of the ordinary things - i'd be inudated with Gardeners delight toms and "All green bush corgettes". I tend to swap things at the seed stage - mostly with my fellow adventurous grapes and through people I work with, although someone in work did give me back .... you've guessed it .. more gardeners delight!
                Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

I've got some gardeners delight and moneymaker if you want some Piggle?
                  And some All green bush courgettes

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X