No announcement yet.

Has anybody used build-a-balls

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've bought one pack of these FIGO Universal Frame Connectors (FIGO Frames), but I think they are too expensive to do much with, so I'm going with the ideas I received on
    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ted_63036.html
    Even considering expanding into a homemade polytunnel using the same principles
    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

I use build-a-ball but agree with all the criticisms above.... I tried tying the joints to stop them popping loose - which is a faff but worked - but now i use those elastic straps with hooks (what are they called, "bungee clips"?) to keep the whole construction rigid. With those in place two brassica net cages have withstood both time and tempest.... So "can be made to work but not cheap" would be my conclusion.

Comment

I've given up on all those.

I just now weave my canes into each other and sling a net over the top.

So as long as you have more than 3 vertical you can weave horizontal ones in. More than 3 and the tension is enough to hold the canes up.

I use the build a balls to stop the canes making holes in the netting, so as cane toppers rather than to keep the corners held.

Comment

Ive tried them and they are currently being used on the allotment at the moment. i tried a few years back putting canes in them and building a frame that way but it was way too wobbly and most cane ends where either too think or thin too fit into the holes. So last year I brought the build-a-balls with aluminum tubing and netting and put them together on the allotment and they seem too have stood up too the strong winds Just make sure that you have a mallet too hammer the aluminum tubing into the build a balls soo they dont fall out. Build A Balls with Aluminum tubing I recommend but build a balls with Canes I do not
          Visit my blog at: marksallotment20162017.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by salome2001 View Post
            I like the idea of the build a balls but also read reviews saying that they didn't fit canes well, since canes aren't all the same size. i found something similar called flexi-balls, the holes are varying sizes and also have little ridges in them to grab canes.

considerably cheaper than biuld a balls too. found them on amazon
            Bamboo Cane Flexible Ball Connectors (10): Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors
            I use some of the ones in your link and find them very good to make a rectangular cage around my brassicas. That said, I use plastic canes for the verticals (am fed up with the bamboo ones failing at ground level) and bamboo in the horizontal. It's very rare that I get any come loose and the cages (when covered in envriomesh) can withstand quite strong winds.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
              I've given up on all those.

I just now weave my canes into each other and sling a net over the top.

So as long as you have more than 3 vertical you can weave horizontal ones in. More than 3 and the tension is enough to hold the canes up.

I use the build a balls to stop the canes making holes in the netting, so as cane toppers rather than to keep the corners held.
              I like this idea.

Last year, I got a large bag of 'ball pond' balls for 50p at a car boot with the idea of using them as cane toppers. Woven sides to a cage with the balls on the tops to stop the netting catching seems to be the way to go.
              Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
              Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

Originally posted by BarleySugar View Post
                I've bought one pack of these FIGO Universal Frame Connectors (FIGO Frames), but I think they are too expensive to do much with, so I'm going with the ideas I received on
                http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ted_63036.html
                Even considering expanding into a homemade polytunnel using the same principles
                I use the figo connectors, they are great, but snot green

Comment

I have also tried the Bamboo cane flexible ball connectors and found it difficult to find canes the right size to fit properly. Still better than buid-a-balls which are really for use with aluminium tubes but I now use tennis balls.
                  History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

I got some of the Figo connectors for Christmas! That makes them free doesnt it???
                    http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

What about using plastic milk/water bottles inverted over the tops of canes. I'm sure you could make holes in the sides of them for a cane.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        What about using plastic milk/water bottles inverted over the tops of canes. I'm sure you could make holes in the sides of them for a cane.
                        last year i asked and got,some beer cans of my lottie friends,empty one.s that is,eukkideal for putting over the top of canes,will have a try with the bottle milk idea,
                        Last edited by lottie dolly; 07-02-2012, 03:54 PM.
                        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Was goig to invest in the build a balls system but dont think I'll bother now. Quite like the tennis ball idea.
                          Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

i have used build a ball for the last two seasons with poles they work great not trie
                            d with canes so cant comment

Comment

To be honest I couldn't be bothered with all this messing about. Green garden twine and a square lashing, done properly the canes will never move. Its one of the lashings they used to use for erecting wooden scaffolding. You can use it for any thickness of cane and much much cheaper.

Colin
                              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

The trick to using build a balls is electrical tape. FIL figured it out. It means you don't have to buy the aluminium canes and that whatever structures you build don't fall apart. Position the balls and canes then use a bit of electrical tape to secure it.
                                I do Charity Wild food walks. Check out www.msitu.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X