No announcement yet.

nettle compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never made comfrey or borage as it wasn't already available on my allotment. I keep my tea in the shed. No one has ever broken into my shed, and if they did I'm sure they would regret it.
    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
      Really well, although comfrey tea is supposed to be better (I only had a small amount of this last year to try in comparision to the nettle tea). I believe the npk ratios are different too.

Really easy though, I stuffed a 4 pint milk bottle as full as possible with nettle leaves, filled up with water and left to rot down for a good month or so. It absolutely stinks when you open it, but then you can dilute it down to a "weak tea" colour to give your plants a boost. I kept topping it up with water, and it was fine all year. I now have a section of nettles alongside my greenhouse that grow very fast (might be because my chickens seem to roost in there - no doubt their poo helps it grow).
      Comfrey tea reeks too as I spilled some over me last year whilst watering. We had to drive back home with the roof open!!

Comfrey tea recipe is same. I load as many leaves as I can into a four pint plastic milk bottle, fill with water, screw lid back on and leave for two months. I want to put this in my water butt this year though as the water top at the Lotty is on the corner of our plot!
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by jdlondon View Post
        Do you use the same nettle method of maytree's to make these feeds too? It sounds so easy and uncomplicated.
        It is! Like this >> how to make comfrey tea - YouTube

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
        I've never made comfrey or borage as it wasn't already available on my allotment.
        You should be able to find plenty in woodland areas ~ we have lots on our old disused railway track (now a cycle lane)

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
        I load as many leaves as I can into a four pint plastic milk bottle, fill with water, screw lid back on and leave for two months. I want to put this in my water butt this year though
        Don't put it in your water butt unless you have a tight fitting lid. The smell is awful of course, and it attracts dung flies.
        They are on the beneficial side, but I'd rather not have clouds of them following me round the allotment
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I cut my comfrey down 4-5 times a year and put it in an old dustbin filled with water,I have to cover it with a plastic bag held on with bungee cord,using it is always the last job before I leave the lottie,may try mixed nettle and comfrey this year as there is mor than enough nettles for everyone
          don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
          remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
            Really easy though, I stuffed a 4 pint milk bottle as full as possible with nettle leaves, filled up with water and left to rot down for a good month or so. It absolutely stinks when you open it, but then you can dilute it down to a "weak tea" colour to give your plants a boost. I kept topping it up with water, and it was fine all year. .
            I really like the milk bottle idea- the stinking bucket has been putting me off trying

However I am not a fan of nettles... have spent another half a day digging just 6 square metres of the blasted roots- bloody great facehuggers worthy of a appearance in Alien. Only another 140 or so to go

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X