No announcement yet.

How many potatoes to grow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Also, just for curiosity, why are you going to stagger main crop? Can understand earlies but main crop aren't eaten fresh and later plantings have a greater risk of blight. "

I think I meant that I am staggering them in as much as earlies/second earlies and main. am trying 3 different types to experiment with tastes and am hoping to use some from exhibition too. I reqret planting so few last year, so this year have 35 babies chitting away! the children have been warned not to pick the shoots off
    passionate about plants

http://escapetotheallotment.blogspot.co.uk/ Check out my new blog...

There is no greater satisfaction than is gained from a plate of your own home grown !

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      I don't earth up
      Me neither, I just mulch the plants with wet newspapers & grass clippings. Much easier to harvest, less digging, less weeding, less work all round, and the mulch goes back into the soil to improve it.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I only have 10 seed potatoes chitting away, to be grown in bags. I've never grown spuds before and have little space, so this is a bit of a trial run for me.

Incidenally the bags aren't compost bags as I've seen recommended, they're double-bagged courier's bags, which are around 14" x 24" when folded flat. I'm anticipating only one chitted potato in each when the time is right - does this sound right? They're probably around 10"-12" across when filled and "round" sat on the patio.
        "Live like a peasant, eat like a king..."
        Sow it, grow it • Adventures on Plot 10b - my allotment blog.
        I'm also on Twitter.

Comment

^ that sounds OK. It's better to give them more room than you think ~ if you squeeze them in, they'll just dry out quicker and produce a smaller crop.

What variety do you have?
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

JBA have a spud calculator on their site, I use that to estimate how many I'd need..

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              ^ that sounds OK. It's better to give them more room than you think ~ if you squeeze them in, they'll just dry out quicker and produce a smaller crop.

What variety do you have?
              I've got "Kestrel" and "Nicola" - though I now understand I should have gone for two that explicitly said "First earlies" on them for container growing, though hopefully I'll have some success with what I've got. This is a first effort after all so I don't mind having a few failures, it'll give me a kick and make me do it better next time.
              "Live like a peasant, eat like a king..."
              Sow it, grow it • Adventures on Plot 10b - my allotment blog.
              I'm also on Twitter.

Comment

I never bothered with mains as space was limited at home. just 2nd earlies. Price of spuds versus the price of other crops and variety of other crops I could get out of the same space (and the fact that we were going through around the 15-20kg's of spuds a month....

Daughters fav thing was the 2nd earlies though
                Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X