No announcement yet.

Best tomatoes for passata

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aha - this is my cunning plan - make my teenager into my domestic goddess so she can make all the preserves for me and I can do all the growing!! She's off to River Cottage soon to do her work experience - so the plan is coming together!!
    Am suffering freezer envy now VC - would dearly love more freezer space

Comment

How many cu ft would you like? Just send a SAE.
      What a brilliant plan for your daughter and what a wonderful place to do work experience. Is there an upper age limit?

Comment

We met Hugh FW after he gave a talk at a smallholders thingy we went to last year and he invited her down - really nice chap. She has already been once and is going back soon for another stint - having been brought up with the seasonal produce mantra she is in her element!
        Agree with you about the age limit - I'd love to go!

Comment

Originally posted by mudpies View Post
          Does it keep Ok Alison?
          So long as you process properly will keep for at least a year but I've never managed to make enough to last that long. I make it up, pour into kilner jars and then pasturise for about 30 mins to kill all the bugs. You can also do it in a water bath but OH bought a pasturiser for his apple juice and cider so I thought I'd best make use of it.

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          My freezer is somewhat oversized these days so I have to fill it up with something. I'd like to be a kitchen goddess (no offence Alison) with a pantry full of preserves but I'm just not committed enough. Maybe one day.
          Am deeply envious of your freezer space

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Lucky girl! You're on to a winner there.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              Am deeply envious of your freezer space
              My husband was a meat eater so it was big enough for half a sheep and a quarter of a cow. Now that he is no more, I have all of that space to fill with fruit and veg - but I don't grow enough to fill it. Seems pointless buying a smaller one. Must grow more, keep saying over and over, must grow more....

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                My husband was a meat eater so it was big enough for half a sheep and a quarter of a cow. Now that he is no more, I have all of that space to fill with fruit and veg - but I don't grow enough to fill it. Seems pointless buying a smaller one. Must grow more, keep saying over and over, must grow more....
                That's a bit of a rubbish way of getting loads of freezer space though, sorry

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks Alison - he would have said the same.

Comment

As a child I lived on the family farm with my great aunt...I remember the excitement in the winter as we defrosted the plums and mashed strawbs she froze in the summer.....so....must freeze more, must freeze more...my difficulty is that I just love eating it fresh, so maybe I should grow more too!

Comment

Perhaps we should make this our mantra - Grow more, eat more, freeze more, preserve more, save more.....

Comment

Sounds good! Time to get those seed packets out again then ( not that we need much excuse!)..

Comment

I jar mine because I have a small-ish freezer and too much ther veg to freeze. It's handy in the vent of an electric failure too [never had one yet but there's always a first time]
                          I've been trying different varieties and doing about 4 of each type. I found the black tomatoes [yes really ] made the nicest passata so far, followed by cherry tomatoes, followed by plum tomatoes. There really is a difference in the taste, which stands ot reason if there's a difference when they're fresh, but there is aslo a large difference when cooked which I wouldnt have expected...maybe I'm just too dumb

Comment

Double or triple cordon. How do you do that? Just allow a side shoot to grow up a cane?

Loving my allotment!

Comment

I'm guessing two per pot (someone here uses those orange buckets from B&Q)?

Comment

Double or triple cordon. How do you do that? Just allow a side shoot to grow up a cane?
                                yes, Rio Grande is only semi determinate and often carries on growing beyond a truss. the toms are so big/heavy that the plant just colapses if left to grow as a bush.
                                I choose 1 or 2 strong side shoots from near to the base and let them grow, tied to canes as you do a single cordon tom. Snap off anymore side shoots that try to grow.

I think It just makes them easier to control
                                Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 05-02-2012, 09:28 AM. Reason: forgot quote!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X