Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of French beans planting and support.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    I seem to get in trouble just by thinking! Makes life more interesting..
    Old chinese curse 'May you live in interesting times' comes to mind (
    My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesy_uk View Post
      Old chinese curse 'May you live in interesting times' comes to mind (
      That's a curse? I'm doomed....

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        So when was the last time you had a movement, Mr Pots?

*fnarr fnarr
        The last time I forgot to belt up me beans.
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Hijacking thread.

I have 5 Blue Coco climbing French beans that I intend to grow in containers in the back garden. They have all sprouted and have lovely first pair of leaves...except one. It was the last one up and is a little distorted. It still had some of the husk stuck to it as it emerged which I didn't notice with the others.

My question is should I discard it or let it carry on. I'm a sucker for a runt!

Comment

If you want to grow it on, grow it on
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If you've only got 5 beans and no spares I'd do like TS says and let it grow.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I Hijack enough threads so it's fine hehe, I had a couple like you mentioned last year and i would give it a couple of week to see if it catches up. I had 2 like that last year that never really made anything of themselves and just languished about half the size of the rest.

p.s

iirc the 2 I had problems with had stems thicker than the others like it decided to stop growing up.
                My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

Ok then it's a keeper. Might give it a name...Dave as in Dave Clark Five (only have 5 beans)

I'll let you know how he progresses.

Comment

So following the decision to allay execution of Dave I would like to present the 5 beans I am growing this year. I sewed the seeds too early because I didn't know what I was doing. As they are HSL seeds they are going to reside in my back garden rather than lottie.

Fileave Clark Five 1966.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This picture was taken yesterday and two have already started to curl round their canes. Dave the runt is the one at the front to the right.

Are these containers big enough for them? Obviously they will go outside when the weather is warmer.

LOL. I don't know how that smiley face got there!

I think I need to put them all on some kind of base so that I can turn them regularly. I'm thinking old pallet and some castors.
                    Last edited by donnakebab; 07-04-2012, 03:52 PM.

Comment

i should imagine the pot they are in will be big enough - just keep on top of the watering in the summer.

Comment

have you done some complicated arrangement at the top to stop the canes from falling over in the wind?

I like that you pointed out which was the runt, as if we couldn't tell

Comment

Yep those containers will be OK. My runners get to plus of 8ft in the same black buckets so your frenchies will be fine.

Would heed Taffs warning of securing the top of the canes otherwise they will blow over.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Yep. I have a horizontal cane that ties them all together higher up.

I just hope they don't twine round each other before I put them outside!

They are 7ft canes. I am just about over 5ft. if I stand on anything over 2ft I get vertigo. Alfred Hitchcock styley.
                            Last edited by donnakebab; 07-04-2012, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Donna, if I may. Just tying the canes together won't do the job if it gets windy. If you can tie the canes into something, I use an old washing line hook thats knocked into the house wall.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

^ the man talks sense...I had runners in the same size pots a few years ago in a [i thought] sheltered area. Nope....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X