Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of French beans planting and support.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...mes_58608.html some nice frames in that thread

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      What I did at school, just to fill a gap against a wall, was this. One cane per plant, angled to the wall, tied at the top to chain link fencing (out of shot). This worked well, but it's a sheltered spot
      Is there a reason for growing the beans on a leaning cane up a wall instead of just letting them grow up a wall? I was going to just net my walls, and not bother with canes.

On the other hand, those munty ones on that other thread looks like it'll be good for growing shady loving stuff under the canes.

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
        sitting on hands...sitting on hands!
        It was a mistake. It's in a pot with forced tulips ~ I think I remember dropping a couple of drying pods of Frenchies in the compost sack

Originally posted by jdlondon View Post
        Is there a reason for growing the beans on a leaning cane up a wall instead of just letting them grow up a wall? I was going to just net my walls
        Yep, it was so the beans hang down away from the foliage/canes ~ makes picking a lot easier

Plus, the angle allows sunshine to hit all the pods at once, no shade is cast on lower down beans
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 01-02-2012, 07:52 PM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I do something similar with one set of my runners. My fence posts are 6ft apart so I have screwed
          100mm long vine eyes (£1-50p for 10) into each post. You can then run a taught cord or a cane through the eyes and attach your vertical canes to this. This helps hold the plants off the fence whilst giving great stability.

You can just see the arrangement top left

Colin
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Potstubsdustbins; 01-02-2012, 09:46 PM.
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Anyone ever used the X cane method? We've just built a munty frame - a permanent one that looks a little too substantial. Mr VVG got carried away with 4" machined round poles...I hadn't the heart to stop him for OTT DIY
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I always use X canes, being somewhat vertically challenged. Its easier to tie the canes together at a lower level, also to pick the beans as they hang down outside the main framework instead of getting clumped up at the top where I can't reach them.

Comment

I often stick a single angled long cane and pop 2 climbing French beans in at the bottom. Usually Borlotti. They grow fine. The angle makes them easier to pick. I pop them where there is a little bit of spare space not big enough for anything else.

I use Munty's mostly though.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  I always use X canes, being somewhat vertically challenged.
                  Yep, me too, for the same reason. These are a bit of an elongated X, I now tie them even lower down for a more pronounced X
                  Last edited by Two_Sheds; 02-02-2012, 08:19 AM.

Comment

I cross mine at about eye level -say 5' (to be kind to myself). That way I don't have to stretch up to tie the canes together and can see exactly what I'm doing. In my terraced garden I angle single canes out at about 45 degrees so that the beans grow out into thin air but hang down above my head if I'm on the terrace below. Imagine fishing rods! I'll take photos this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                      I do something similar with one set of my runners. My fence posts are 6ft apart so I have screwed
                      100mm long vine eyes (£1-50p for 10) into each post. You can then run a taught cord or a cane through the eyes and attach your vertical canes to this. This helps hold the plants off the fence whilst giving great stability.

You can just see the arrangement top left

Colin
                      That looks like the ticket Pots, except this will be a 45ft long version
                      My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesy_uk View Post
                        That looks like the ticket Pots, except this will be a 45ft long version
                        Well assuming 6ft panels 10 vine eyes will cover that length easily and the Depot do some nylon cord about 3 to 4mm thickness which won't stretch for your horizontal run then just tie your vertical canes to that. Remembering I grow my beans in Morrison pots and I still have no trouble with movement.

Colin
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                          I still have no trouble with movement.
                          So when was the last time you had a movement, Mr Pots?

*fnarr fnarr

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            So when was the last time you had a movement, Mr Pots?

*fnarr fnarr
                            I didn't dare say that TS, but I certainly thought it!! Must be all those beans...
                            Last edited by veggiechicken; 02-02-2012, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I've always got in trouble for saying what I think VC ~

Comment

I seem to get in trouble just by thinking! Makes life more interesting..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X