Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early potatoes - how early do you plant yours?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first of my outside ones went in last Sunday in a bag against a south facing wall and then today, 3 varieties outsider in a drill, as they call it....
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
    sigpic

Comment

I might plant mine up on the weekend - should i keep earthing up until the frosts pass?

Comment

Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
        I might plant mine up on the weekend - should i keep earthing up until the frosts pass?
        Yes. If the foliage gets frosted it will die.

Comment

I planted some "Swift" in the greenhouse early Feb. Absolutely no sign of them. I took a peek a couple of days ago and there is no growth on them at all. At least they've not rotted, I guess.

I have planted earlies in the greenhouse the last two years and had lovely early harvests but nothing this year I guess.

I've decided today that I'm going to plant on the allotment next week. I'm fleecing the ground tomorrow in preparation.
          Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Comment

My earlies in the GH took their time this year. I held off until 05/03 but got nothing until I put a heater in there. They started to show on the 20/03 and I now have 6 buckets out of 15 showing green.

Potty
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I'm quite new to this growing potatoes lark but here's what I do; I chuck a few in those grow bags at the start of march and put them in the most sheltered part of my site, the rest of the first earlies go in about middle of march, the 2nd earlies at the start of April, in fact I'm doing it today. and then then main crop in the middle of April.

Comment

I have half a dozen planted in a bed in the tunnel, covered with fleece, but none showing yet. I'm planning to get the rest of the earlies in tubs today, and the 2nd earlies and main-crops in by the end of the Easter break so that I only have school ones to worry about after the holidays.

Comment

I'm getting mine in on the 4th April as long range weather forecast looks better after that.
                  Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Mine went in today, and the ones in the poly that went in in Feb have just started to poke their little green heads up

Comment

i usually put in my few earlies half way through February, with a double layer of fleece over, but this year it seemed too darned cold, so they went in yesterday, earthed over but no fleece. I reckon if it's too cold for me to want to be messing about outside, the spuds won't like it either. (fair weather gardener, me )
                      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                      Endless wonder.

Comment

Well...

It turns out we were a tad optimistic planting them in late February when we had a spell of nice weather for a week...

Bought replacements today and set up to chit near the window again
                        Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

Comment

To give you an idea an old boy left his allotment late last year and left all his potatoes in the ground, it looks like someone took the plot on and dug some up at the weekend and not a single potato had any shoots on them at all.
                          My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

I planted mine 'Pentland Javelin' yesterday. I only sowed four in a bag. I am afraid of sow more after heard everyones had blight the last couple of years.
                            http://savinglives.ahar.ie/

Comment

I spotted some ridges under the poanna on the new allotment at the weekend, so investigated with my fork. Some nice clean potatoes, no shoots on them yet either. So that's promising on two counts: no hurry to get mine in, but hopeful for a decent scab-free crop next year!
                              My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Going in tomorrow whether they like it or not.
                                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X