Water Butt connections

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
    Davy I don't know how desperate you are or the distance involved but there is a JTF store in Newcastle tel 0191-293-1555. The stores have just had their gardening stuff in and you will get a butt a lot cheaper than the price your quoting Ring first to check availability as they are a stack em high flog em cheap outfit.

Colin
    I was there yesterday, they only have the 100 ltre skinny ones, again with no stand for £16.99 plus VAT

Comment

TS I know this is a gardening forum, and not a livestock one, but from time to time, I fill my Butt (wish there was another name for them) from a hosepipe, how do goldfish cope with this?
      Last edited by Davyburns; 31-01-2012, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davyburns View Post
        TS I fill my Butt (wish there was another name for them) from a hosepipe, how do goldfish cope with this?
        I suppose you could always call it a barrel

Goldfish are very hardy, I would think that as long as there's a reasonable amount of original water in there (and there would have to be to keep the syphons going) then they would be ok. Run the water from the hosepipe down into the water in the barrel so there's no rough flow and don't point it directly at the fish

Think it's a great idea - I might get fish for my butts (ahem, barrels) later in the year.
        Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

Its much nicer to say a 'cute little barrel'

Colin
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

from time to time, I fill my Butt (wish there was another name for them) from a hosepipe, how do goldfish cope with this?
            It depends on your mains water. Mine is very limey, so I don't add more than 50% at a time. When you buy a tank, you're advised to leave it for 24 hrs between filling with tap water and adding fish, to let the chlorine etc dissipate

I've kept fish in my butt(s) (fnarr fnarr) for years now. They seem to like it. They have really deep water, it's a good habitat, certainly better than an indoor tank or a shallow pond. I've added oxygenating weed to some (though they do eat it).

The only time I seem to have deaths has been after weeks of dry weather, then a rainstorm. I'm guessing that chemicals (diesel etc) accumulates on the roof and is then washed down into the butts.

I've never lost any to cold, except the stoopid one that got itself frozen into the ice (I think it was on its way out anyway, to have been floating near the surface in the winter).
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'll have to hone my throwing skills, and wait til the next fairground comes to town then

Comment

No pet shops at all in Gateshead?

Comment

yeah, probably. do you buy them in pairs or what? do they breed in that sort of environment?

Comment

I don't need them to breed, but I guess they would if they felt like it... dunno

I don't know if fish get lonely, but I do have them in pairs or more.

Comment

yeah, probably. do you buy them in pairs or what? do they breed in that sort of environment?
                      I don't know a lot about goldfish, but I do know they will eat their own young if there is no way for the fry to escape, or vegetation to hide in, so you're not likely to see babies in a barrel.
                      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                      Endless wonder.

Comment

There's one in Team Valley and one in the Metrocentre retail park Davy
                        The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvan View Post
                          There's one in Team Valley and one in the Metrocentre retail park Davy
                          Erm..... One what?

Comment

Pet shop for goldfish maybe?

Comment

oh, thats not a problem, there are lots locally

Comment

Eee, what it is to live in the glittering metropolis...
                                The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X