peat free compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VVG,

If you really want to go further lets look at your example New Horizon peat free.

First it contains lime see above about lime stone quarries.

Second it contains coir transported half way round the world in ships, oil consumption, steel making and all that entails.

Next it contains rock phosphate again a mined mineral.

That why I say what ever we use its a trade off.

Oh and I hope your not a serious veggi because it contains hoof & horn and bone meal.

Colin
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Hey Colin, I agree, I tried it and as a peat free alternative, it's the best there is. Do I love it, NO! I'm going to take some turning from peat, but am trying to churn enough of my own veg peelings, grass clippings, cardboard, paper, hen poop into something resembling a half decent compost/mulch.
      I don't have a soap box or fruit crate
      Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 27-01-2012, 11:28 PM.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

VVG me neither just making the point that it seems where ever we go we do some damage to something somewhere.

As to home made have you tried riddling it? It takes time but produce's a fairly usable compost and I am told (don't know for sure) that if you then throw the big bits into the next composter it speeds up the process by transfering the nice buggies.
        I also find that home made can be that rich I can use it 50/50 with last years used compost and still get good results.

But I shall in the next couple of weeks purchase my bag of peat in for seed cutting.

Colin from the dark side LOL

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

That's exactly what I do chap. We have two nearly three homemade pallet composters - large capacity. I want four in a row, to keep churning it. I have a pitchfork that I stab and turn, hoof around stuff. It gets riddled prior to use.
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Do you use it for seed sowing though? I did, last year, mixed with sand and I lost loads of seedlings to damping off.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadylane View Post
              Do you use it for seed sowing though? I did, last year, mixed with sand and I lost loads of seedlings to damping off.
              Yes I use the term seed cutting (old fashioned me) and yes again you can easily over water in the early stages. However I find as the plant grows it allows me to keep it in the same pot longer.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Good idea to mix it with last years compost. I found mixing it with sand it became really waterlogged. Not sure how that worked as I thought sand was supposed to improve drainage. Problem is with using your own is making enough. Of course some people use it to spread on their beds instead of manure. As for the environmental issue, I used a brand called Yorkshire Hortcultural Supplies (YHS) which is supposedly made from household waste. Can't remember if it had coir in it though. I do remember not getting on with it for seed sowing.
                Last edited by Shadylane; 30-01-2012, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Fortunately as I grow in containers I have 7 plastic dustbins with clip lids. Used compost is over wintered in these and then brought out as needed and riddled.

I have to be a bit careful with timings otherwise I end up needing a bin and they are still full of compost

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Do you add any fertilizer to the old compost Colin just so its "viable".

Comment

Originally posted by tumbling tom View Post
                      Do you add any fertilizer to the old compost Colin just so its "viable".
                      Yes either BFB or growmore as a NPK neutral fertilizer, just to sweeten it. Then as the seasons goes on I use high nitrogen for green growth and high potash as fruits etc develop.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

And just when do you initially put the bfb in Colin. As you take it out s you are going to use it or as you put it in the bin to store? A stupid question I know but was wondering if it made a difference.

I do try and reuse the compost but generally use it in flower pots. Dont seem to have the "guts" to re-use it for veg

Comment

Depends on how much time I have and what I have available. If I am short time at the backend of the season the old stuff goes straight in the bins and gets riddled and sweetened in the spring. Usually with BFB. If I have time in the Autumn I riddled the old stuff and mix in Growmore before it goes in the bins. This gives the pellets time to break down and also gives the roots etc extra time in the dalek.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shadylane View Post
                            - Think of wet sand on a beach: sandcastles: it clumps together. Vermiculite is better
                            - Never use old (butt) water to water seedlings, it increases chances of damping off disease
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                              I hope your not a serious veggi because it contains hoof & horn and bone meal
                              Even serious veggies don't eat compost

* granted, vegans would avoid using it
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Sorry 2Sheds I meant Vegan, they would probably object to using anything that had come from a slaughter house. No disrespect meant to Veggies or Vegans each to their own in my world.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X