No announcement yet.

Disposal of brassicas.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A shredder just for those - how many are you growing? Just use loppers if you want to cut them down a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
      My sweetcorn stalks took a year to break down
      The easiest way to break down corn stalks (and sunflowers, and probably sprout stalks) is to leave them standing all winter. The gales make short work of it. Come spring, what's left of my corn stalks (not much) is easily pulled up and composted
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
        I see there's a shredder on ebay standing at 99p with less than a day to run. Says it's not running but is suspected the blade may be stuck. I'd be taking a chance on that as that's exactly what happens with mine. It can even happen if wet material has been passed through as the mechanics can seize up with rust although it's very easy to free it off.

p.s. Whatever happened to I before E in seize?
        the one i bought dosent have a blade its two largish cogs close together that contra rotate chewing up what passes through
        Last edited by hollychap; 21-01-2012, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          A shredder just for those - how many are you growing?
          No more than a dozen I don't think. But I'm lazy! Why do it manually when a nice power tool will do the job?

I've spent quite a lot of time this year chucking stuff on the lawn and then mowing it to break it down for composting. It works well enough but I suspect it's not the kindest thing I could do to my mower.
          Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
          By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
          While better men than we go out and start their working lives
          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
            But I'm lazy! Why do it manually when a nice power tool will do the job?
            Why have the bother, effort and expense (not to mention pollution) of a power toy, sorry tool, when just leaving the stalks outside for the winter will do the job? Minimal effort required.
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 22-01-2012, 10:07 AM.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Its the boy/girl different approach again (with apologies to the male stampers, cleavers and composters out there).

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Why have the bother, effort and expense (not to mention pollution) of a power toy, sorry tool, when just leaving the stalks outside for the winter will do the job? Minimal effort required.
                I know what you're saying. It probably is the boy / girl approach as pointed out above. Plus I have very little spare space to leave stuff to break down over long periods - one winter isn't enough. I could always burn them and put the ashes back in the compost I suppose.
                Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Until this year I didn't have much room on the lottie for composting ( 1 dalek ) so what I did was to bagged all storks up and take them to the tip and put all the leaves in the dalek to compost, as from this year my large half plot is now a full plot so more composting space under the trees at the bottom of the plot.
                  Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                  Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                  -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
                    I know what you're saying. It probably is the boy / girl approach as pointed out above. Plus I have very little spare space to leave stuff to break down over long periods - one winter isn't enough. I could always burn them and put the ashes back in the compost I suppose.
                    So just use loppers! Cut into 3-6 inch lengths, and put them in the composter.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                      I see there's a shredder on ebay standing at 99p with less than a day to run. Says it's not running but is suspected the blade may be stuck. I'd be taking a chance on that as that's exactly what happens with mine. It can even happen if wet material has been passed through as the mechanics can seize up with rust although it's very easy to free it off.

p.s. Whatever happened to I before E in seize?
                      It became the exception to the rule...a rebel
                      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Not all of us have allotments and so space is at a premium. Myself growing in containers I need a lot of compost and therefore to speed up the process I try to reduce everthing to a small size. Not a boy/girl thing just practical.

Colin
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Yes Pots, but do you do it with machinery or by hand - if you follow my drift!! To clarify - I'm talking about your compost material.

Comment

Phew VC thought you was getting pesonal there. In answer I use hand tools, the cleaver being my fave because its very quick. With a good edge on it I can stand over the dalek and slice the thickest stem to slivers in minutes. Just have to watch the dinkies.LOL

Colin
                            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Place stalks on ground hit with large hammer this breaks the fibres apart and speeds up decomp

Comment

Hand tools are fine! As I typed my previous message a little thought crossed my mind - you CANNOT send that without clarification - especially not to Potty. How right I was!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X