Combining veg - wise or foolish?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pottypotter View Post
    planted my brussels it said to plant 2 half feet apart at that rate I will run out of room what can I plant inbetween that will come out before the brussels are ready.
    Any fast growing and not too tall salad crops - radish, lettuce etc

Comment

Cutecumber, don't forget, if you're stuck for space, plant your tomatoes (Tumbler) in hanging baskets and add a mix of herbs with them.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Go for it Cutecumber. If you can get some lettuce, or radish, or basil out of a pot that is growing something else, then do go for it. I don't think there are rules in tablet of stone. If you can make it work - then do it. Good luck and do share with us.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

anyone got a sugestion for a crop to grow between rows of peas? I am growing short rows across a 4 ft bed and have to leave a decent gap between rows so I can pick them.

Comment

Useful advice here, Ta!

I'm likely to run out of space on my plot before I run out of things to plant. I'm going to try lettuce with the potatoes and the with the caulis.
            You are a child of the universe,
            no less than the trees and the stars;
            you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

Some good ideas here - I am getting quite excited now!

First stop is the garlic - my plants are over six inches tall and need to go into their final container this week. I shall put them in with some of the seedling lettuces I have started and see how it goes.

Then it's broad beans ... I'll see how much room there is

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                Cutecumber, don't forget, if you're stuck for space, plant your tomatoes (Tumbler) in hanging baskets and add a mix of herbs with them.
                I'm going to give this a try this year - lets compare notes! I'm waiting for my seedlings to grow then I can plant them on into my baskets. I've got moss for the liners, and am hoping to do two baskets. Lets see.

Bernie aka Dexterdog
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by serenity View Post
                  anyone got a sugestion for a crop to grow between rows of peas? I am growing short rows across a 4 ft bed and have to leave a decent gap between rows so I can pick them.
                  Not sure if this would work but what about lettuce and radish? What does everyone else think?

Bernie aka Dexterdog
                  Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Serenity, radishes for sure, easy catch crop, lettuce mix, for cut and come again, when the peas are ready to pick, pull the lettuces. Also spring onions, try some chives as well, you can always lift the chives and repot or use in the beds as edging.
                    Last edited by TonyF; 12-04-2007, 06:46 PM.
                    TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

I am growing peas in between my potatoes as I have read that they are good companions and as peas introduce nitrogen into the soil they can be planted all over the plot. I am also interplanting carrots with onions wherever they are being put on the plot. Also I am chucking marigolds all around to give colour and as a beneficial companion to lots of veggies.

Comment

Originally posted by serenity View Post
                        I'm planting cauliflowers and broccoli between my rows of peas. I don't have space for a separate brassica bed so all mine go amongst the peas and beans - I'm growing brussells down the centre of my runner bean bed (we eat a LOT of runners so they have their own bed!) as according to Bob Flowerdew, brussells are the only brassica that will tolerate runner beans. I've set the supports up so they don't cross at the top so plenty of light can get thru' - bit like a snooker cane support.

So far so good, my caulis are better than the bloke's who originally gave them to me I'm also planting borage at the edges of the peas and caulis as it's supposed to be beneficial
                        Last edited by SuzieP; 16-04-2007, 08:35 AM. Reason: extra bit of info

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X