No announcement yet.

Growing Vegetables in Raised Beds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I grew bunches of carrots in pots using shop bought compost for fruit and vegetables, and they came out a really nice size and shape! I kept the pot indoors to get quick germination and gradually introduced them to being outside once they had sprouted. I could also move the pot around to get the sunniest side of the garden. The carrots were "purple haze" they were lovely - heres a pic of these along with some other veggies all grown in containers (these were the first carrots, later ones were bigger).

Attached Files
    Last edited by cazp; 13-01-2012, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Greetings from 12 degrees in Plymouth! Heat wave!

Got 3 x 1m x 1m x 45cm Link a Bord raised beds waiting to go up when I get chance this month (700ltr soil per raised bed) Two will be put to use until funds replenished for third top up.

#1 bed going to try Square Foot Gardening

#2 bed was considering courgettes 'Defender' variaty? How many plants would be ideal in this space.

By the way brilliant forum and learning so much from you all.

Comment

I wouldn't put more than 2 courgettes in a 1x 1 meter bed and even that may be pushing it, they grow BIG and fast and need good air circulation to prevent fungal disease
        don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
        remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Hi Red. How's Plymouth (apart from a lot warmer than here) - I grew up down there in the Southwest. Courgettes can get massive, so as Snakeshack says 1 plant would probably fill your raised bed.

Comment

Personally I would grow my courgette in a large pot and use the bed for something else. My square metre bed raises 9 calabrese by using the correct vareity you can get the equivalent of 12 good heads.

Colin
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Have you decided or already got a medium to fill the bed(s)?

I was looking at this for my beds, didn't want a bed of MPC cause of drying out concerns.

Dandy's Vegegrow® Topsoil: soil and compost blended for growing organic fruits and vegetables.
              My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for the top soil link Jamesy..........

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                  Hi Red. How's Plymouth (apart from a lot warmer than here) - I grew up down there in the Southwest. Courgettes can get massive, so as Snakeshack says 1 plant would probably fill your raised bed.
                  Great thanks. A Nottingham lad by heart but stayed down here when I left the RN. Enjoy the fresh air and of course I will be getting a lot of it now I am getting into gardening!!

Comment

Hi Colin,

As being new to this wonderful hobby and a new greenhouse going up trying to grow just a few things at a time but will bear your advice in mind.

Comment

Nottm lad me owd duck, what part of our great city?

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                        Nottm lad me owd duck, what part of our great city?

Colin
                        Born in Radford (City Hospital actually) and then from a nipper grew up in Bulwell where my parents still live

And you?

Comment

Born in City hospital grew up in New Basford, when I first got married lived on Middleton St in Radford.

Now in Bestwood Park.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X