No announcement yet.

Potatoes for mashing and freezing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't put butter or milk in my mash and eat it like the poncey chefs now called "crushed" - find it slimy otherwise and has the bonus of being better for me . Have often frozen the remainder with all sorts of different types of potatoes and it works fine. Usually use it in things like fish cakes but it's not really much different to when it went in so maybe the way to go is not to add the butter (or whatever) until defrosted.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Wouldn't beans be more nutritional than spuds?
      Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Its a digestion issue, I think, so beans may be more difficult.

Comment

It's a good question Rocketron. Crohnies are chronically short of protein, and beans are a very good source of that, so you would expect them to be a major part of their diet. But dietary advice is rare indeed - the forums are usually full of people asking about the side effects of all the drugs, nutrition tends to be sidelined, wrongly to judge my experience - so I really don't know.
          You hear a lot about "high in dietary fibre" - the small print there is there are several types of fibre, which act in different parts of the intestine - so it may be that beans have a type of fibre which inflames the most commonly affected part of the gut, whereas potatoes don't do that. Also, I don't know about beans, but potatoes are relatively high in B complex vitamins - nutritionally, they are almost what is known as a complete food, having every major nutrient needed (why the Irish used to grow tatties when desperately short of land) - and loss of B vitamins due to diarrhoea is a major issue for Chronies, as it leads to many complications.
          There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

I find Golden wonder is very" floury". As i was used to having GW in Scotland I wasn't sure how it would grow on my clay soil in a drought area of Middle England. Pleased to report they were great, storing well and I cook, boiled in their skins, I love just sliced then with loads of butter. I know not good for my weight but I consider it a luxury.

Comment

I love 'salad blue' for mash - it is pale lilac though! The taste and texture are fabulous.
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I know not good for my weight but I consider it a luxury
                That's exactly why I consider eating chips a luxury - they are the only thing I have ever found that seems to be able to let me put on weight !
                (I know, wouldn't you all like to have that problem...)
                There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

I put on 2lbs if i eat fish n chips, so now i don't eat batter but i still like to treat myself about once a month/six weeks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X