No announcement yet.

Growing onions from seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tryed to grow from seed 3 year ago with no luck,but have sown some 2 weeks ago,well you cannot give up,can you,another plot holder grew some first time last year and gave me some to try,I was well chuffed with how they grew,it 's given me more confidence in succeeding this year,it was a bit like planting leeks only not deep lol,we love our onions,so the challenge is on.
    is this thread going to replace the p******s one
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Hm, doubt it

Comment

Nothing can replace the annual p******s thread, lottie dolly, it's as seasonal as Spring itself but perhaps still a bit early yet? The best bit then is the exasperation of those who've seen it all before urging Site Searches versus Nothing's come up, Can you use old seed? Is it difficult? and then the entrance of the gladiators who claim to have thrown some on damp toilet paper last week, it all germinated in 10 minutes and we're having some for tea tonight, what's the problem...? I look forward to p******s thread 2012, it's the best one, bring it on! But meantime keep going with the onions, LD, give 'em some care and protection at this time of the year (particularly light once they're up and about coz daylight still in short supply) and you'll be rewarded with onions the like of which you didn't know you could grow.....

Comment

hmmm parsnips..... Doh!
          Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

forgot what a shop purchased onion is like BB,have been using sets,but my ego want's my own from seed lol,and i am certainly looking after my seeds,including keeping them meeces free,the bbbbbs had a feww of all sorts last year,
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
              hmmm parsnips..... Doh!
              do you not like them RT,or won't they grow down under,we love them,hope you and your r well,

Comment

Love 'em LD but was baiting G4 with the comment We're all well thanks
                Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Good thread.

I sowed some Kelsae & some Ailsa Craig seed on boxing day; the seed are still kept (in a propagator) in the airing cupboard at night time at present.

Is this the right thing to do? Or should they only be kept in here whilst they germinate?

This is my 1st attempt at growing onion from seed so welcome any feedback.

Comment

Once your seeds have germinated they need to be out of the propagator and the airing cupboard Firefly.

Comment

Originally posted by firefly View Post
                      Good thread.

I sowed some Kelsae & some Ailsa Craig seed on boxing day; the seed are still kept (in a propagator) in the airing cupboard at night time at present.

Is this the right thing to do? Or should they only be kept in here whilst they germinate?

This is my 1st attempt at growing onion from seed so welcome any feedback.
                      We are talking seedlings by now we think, not seeds. So they need to be out.

Comment

My red florence onion seeds are all through and in the cold greenhouse. I planted on boxing day in a heated propagator and moved the modules out as soon as several were through. The white lisbon spring onions came through in the unheated greenhouse a couple of days later. I think I'm going to put in some more soon as they are so popular with OH and son No2. I've ordered sets for the main crop onions, but perhaps I'll be coverted to seeds if these do well this year.
                        I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                        Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Down Jaune Paille de Vertus today...fingers crossed
                          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X