No announcement yet.

Changing Seasons

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The more people that inhabit this planet the warmer it will get not just because of what they do but because they are!

When we design a heating system for say a concert hall we allow a 100watts per hour per person for our calculations. Human beings radiate that amount of heat on average whilst at rest, more when at physical work. Therefore our nation has approx 60,000,000 100watt light bulbs glowing 24 hours a day and then they tell me I must use energy efficient bulbs.

Colin
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

By that reasoning global warming then is partially fueled by over population.So the logical progression there would be a global human breeding reduction plan,a good incentive would be to heavily reduce child benefit after the second child from each mother.
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

No, BB you scrap child benefit and give a handout to those who opt-out of childbearing!!

Comment

Excellent plan VC for PM

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            No, BB you scrap child benefit and give a handout to those who opt-out of childbearing!!
            Can I have it backdated?
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
              Can I have it backdated?
              Only if I can too!

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                By that reasoning global warming then is partially fueled by over population.So the logical progression there would be a global human breeding reduction plan,a good incentive would be to heavily reduce child benefit after the second child from each mother.
                There's a heck of a lot of countries that have no child benefit, and anyway, hasn't someone already said that all us poor folk are going to starve or drown? That'll do what Scrooge said and "reduce the surplus population". Of course it will become a problem when the rich folks realise it's the poor folks that grow the crops and provide labour for manufacture, and there's none left to do it!

And if globalwarming continues, won't we get colder winters here? The north polar ice cap will melt faster, and all that fresh water pouring into the sea will divert or completely disrupt the gulf stream, which is what moderates our winters. We are after all on the same latitude as Canada, and look at the winters they have.
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

I really wouldn't mind having a Canadian winter, if I could rely on a hot Canadian summer...we don't seem to rely on any seasons

Comment

Well if we push this to it's ultimate logical conclusion global warming will not cause the demise of mankind,quite the contrary it will be global cooling caused by the ultimate thermo-nuclear device (way more powerful than any on this feeble planet) the sun,when it ceases to burn (which it will when it runs out of fissionable material) there will be no light or heat to support life on earth ............ Discuss ......

Comment

I'm still waiting for the ice age that was predicted by 'scientists' in the 1960s and 70s....he who makes predictions is doomed to be wrong.
                      I'd certainly agree with you there, if he makes them on the basis of newspaper headlines ! The business of newspapers is not to educate...it is to sell newspapers, and advertising. Note who the advertisers and owners are, that informs editorial policy.

This is what followed that publication...it was really sloppy research, childish really. Look at their definition of "warm" !

http://www.arp.harvard.edu/sci/clima...hronicleEd.pdf

Icing the Medieval Warm Period

This is education through good science writing (although their headlines are still crap):
                      Climate change: A guide for the perplexed - environment - 16 May 2007 - New Scientist

I must say though, I don't blame the majority of folk for being doubtful. There is an awful lot of muddied water; type the words "manufactured doubt" into a search engine. I have watched this process from day one; the original critics didn't even know the science, they just said, "This is a conspiracy, you are politically motivated". Ah yes, the University of East Anglia, that hotbed of US activism... The reaction was comical to watch, it was like watching the guys from "The Big Bang" with a beauty contestant roomie...utter cluelessness !

Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : The Manufactured Doubt industry and the hacked email controversy : Weather Underground

The consequences for my nephews of even relatively "minor" potential changes, such as the North Atlantic Drift switching off (it's currently faltering) are why I keep banging on about this. We forget very quickly how many people died in 2003's heatwave.
                      Sorry for going so off-topic. Maybe this should be in General Chit Chat. But actually, I was really just hoping people might have interesting ideas on how to grow brassicas and other plants in milder winters.
                      There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

The last three years weren't mild, this one is but who's to say what next year will be like? No one.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X