No announcement yet.

How do you record your vegetable planting and progress etc

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combination of a spreadsheet and an ordinary lined notebook used to record my positionings for me!
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
    sigpic

Comment

The only record I have is in the "what have you done today?" thread, and thats only when I remember to pop on there and write something.

I've been bought an RHS allotment diary for Christmas so I would like to make good use of it this year.

Day one will probably read "still don't know what I am doing, but I stuck some seeds in some pots today".

Comment

Paper and pencil??

I have gone all high tech and got myself a gardening app on my iPad that you can use.
        It's quite good as you can add photos, notes, information etc
        All my projects including my brewing adventures!

www.make-your-own.info

Comment

I''ve a plain paper journal (A5) which I started using 4 (?) years ago I think - as I normally only garden at weekends, the diary style always seemed to have too much space! I record what I'm sowing, what I plant out, what I harvest (drew round my first large courgette to show the size - don't bother any more!). I'm usually pretty good until about June, then there is a gap when I forget to record... I also have an end of year review (which worked well, OK, failed) with lessons learned, and a forward year plan with ideas on what to do. (Sadly the lessons learned don't work that well, I'm always too late sowing stuff for the winter, and always too late on kale!)

I have a powerpoint doc with sketches of the raised beds and what I plan to put into them for summer and winter - but I don't tend to update them too well, once seeds start coming through, it's wherever there is space!

I also record which tomato variety is where in the greenhouse, as although they are labelled, once they are growing, it's impossible to see the labels, so I can check with the plan!

The good thing I find about the journal is I can look back and see what I was doing roughly by date - for each of the last few years - and see the difference - though to be honest, a journal with monthly sections would probably be much more user-friendly! I was also given a garden journal this year, so I might see if that works better...

I've also a spreadsheet with all my seeds with first, second and third planting dates planned - but I can't get the computer working too well where I do my planning, so tend not to use that as much as I should. Same as many - started out fine, then just did what I felt like!

Comment

I plan to keep a gardening journal this year.
            In the past I have thought of it but just winged it every year with mixed and random results.
            I'm getting pedantic in my old age so it might just work this time.
            ‘you cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore'

Comment

To record everything this year I have started my blog. As I am only one year into growing stuff, I really want to know everything that happens.

My GrowYourOwn Blog
              Chilli Grower
              mmmmmm Spicy Chilli.....
              +----------------------------------+
              | Blog: http://www.dg83.com/blog/|
              +----------------------------------+

Comment

After being infected with the seed buying fever two years running,where I bought loads of reduced seeds in the end of season sale and finding out I had half of them already,I now have a little diary sized book that has all my seeds entered alphabetically with the "expiary" date next to them.Flipping the book over gives me a month by month when to sow each type,both indoors and outdoors so I don't have that moment when my fellow allotmenteers are planting out and i'm realizing I didn't sow in time.
                don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X