No announcement yet.

Chillies - help please.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Terrier, the heat in chillies is not in the seeds, It's in that thick white bit near the top and sometimes down through the middle that the seeds are in (a white membrane). The seeds can be hot from being in close proximity to this membrane. To reduce the heat of chillies remove this white membrane and the seeds sticking in it. I wear surgical gloves while handling chillies - therein lies a tale !

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Doesn't sound like anyone has had chillie problems with the seed not germinating. I re-planted yesterday. Looking in the pots of first sowing I could find the original planted seed looking a rather washed out colour but otherwise exactly as I put them in?
      Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong please...I followed directions on the seed packet?

Summer
      Last edited by summer; 11-04-2007, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Could you be overwatering them Summer?
        Maybe they are being kept with less light????

The use of germinating the chilli seeds on little pieces os paper has been one of the most successful pieces of advice for me this winter! Thankyou whoever suggested it!!
        Perhaps I could nominate it as a top ten tip for the mag to use????
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thank you Nicos. I am trying some this way. I have been interested to read on here of how seeds are being germinated on paper.
          Just hope that I get some plants that will catch up, although it isn't really too late to sow now.

_____

Summer

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
            The use of germinating the chilli seeds on little pieces os paper has been one of the most successful pieces of advice for me this winter! Thankyou whoever suggested it!!
            Perhaps I could nominate it as a top ten tip for the mag to use????
            Very useful indeed. Most chillies sprouted and got potted within 7 days. The worst was an old packet of California Wonder seeds which took nearly two weeks. I now have Tasbasco & Cayenne Pepper chillies on the go as well as some California Wonder & Big Banana peppers.

Comment

I have grown cayenne and jalapeno successfully in patio pots for the last couple of years, and twilight in a plastic greenhouse.

Last autumn I brought my twilight plants in, along with a prairie fire, Thai red dragon and Hungarian hot wax plants which I had bought at a knock-down price at the end of the season. All 6 pots sat on my kitchen windowsill through the winter, and all have flowered and fruited throughout!

I have not had huge success with germination of cayenne and jalapeno this year, strangely enough the first year I've tried heated propagators, but I'll have sufficient plants to satisfy my chill needs.

HTML Code:
              http://www.edibleornamentals.co.uk/index.html
              - these guys sell at our Farmer's market, their sauces are excellent, and so are their fresh chillies and plants.

Comment

I am trying to grow some chilli peppers called Bolivian Rainbow (what a lovely name) 10 seeds for about £2.99 (I must be nuts) only 5 have germinated.....
                Anyone else growing these (with more luck than me I hope)
                They should make small dense plants with coloured small chilli peppers.
                Would they last, inside over winter....how long would a plant indoors last....?
                sorry for all the questions

Comment

We had never tryed to grow chilli before in jan uary we put some on wet kitchen roll and put into a heated propergator
                  then i about alf sprouted.
                  then i thouth why not try some stright into a seed tray and put that in the heated prop to more seamed to grow
                  and last month tryed some in a unheated prop abiut half again
                  so in my experiment I think srtight into the seed tray heated propergator but make shour you stand the seed up that way the rout goes stright into the soil keep an eye on them thow if they fall over stand it back up so it doesnot rot. the reson they fall over i think is cos the seed is hevery than the rout
                  Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
                  Dobby

Comment

I think you are right about the root:leaf weight Dobby.
                    About 75% of my Hot Tepin chilli seeds have germinted and we used the little pieces of paper method.
                    (Bowl with wet scrumpled kitchen roll, little piecs of paper with one seed on each, cling film, and placed ontop of the radiator.)
                    You can see the fine roots growing sideways and the tops curling upwards.
                    I've never really been able to germinate many before- looks like some will have to go outside the greenhouse!
                    The plants I tried to overwinter in the summerhouse failed, so I'm glad to have spare plants. ( will try and overwinter them in the house this year)
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X