No announcement yet.

leeks not fattened up

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time for me and yep they aren't very thick. BUT a few factors should be noted.

1) I sowed them indoors on February 17th.
    2) I didn't sow thinly
    3) When it warmed up and they could go outside, i left them in the same container i sowed in
    4) I didn't plant them out in to their holes until June 27th

Now i know i shouldn't be rewarded by them for the torture they have endured but even though they are medium size, they taste amazing.
    www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

When are you sowing in 2012 Chef UK?
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I'm in two minds with how to grow next year. Being my second year my train of thought is to copy the first year but improve upon when i made mistakes that became apparent after i had made them. I'm leaning towards this method as i was quite conservative with my spacings and especially the leeks could have been planted much closer than i had done meaning even more medium size leeks. So in short, the answer is the same week
        www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

They shall fatten up in the spring.

Comment

Hi Daylily

so we should leave the pencil sized leeks in and they could still fatten up? Some of mine are teeny!
            http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

I would leave them in Jelliebabe, unless you desperately need the space
              WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by Jelliebabe View Post
                Hi Daylily

so we should leave the pencil sized leeks in and they could still fatten up? Some of mine are teeny!
                Hi, yes, I would leave them in. Actually, I am doing so, as we speak. They come handy for the hungry gap.

Mine are not all exactly pencil sized, I must admit, but nothing lost doing so.

Comment

Mine have been thin since I planted them out in July (I think), but I cut another dozen today and we souped them.
                  They kept growing, just slowly.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X