Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unidentified currant bushes - prune or leave?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....and jostaberries!

Comment

You should be able to tell the blackcurrant apart because it usually has multiple stems growing out of the ground. Also as has already been mentioned, you can rub the plant between your fingers and smell a blackcurranty smell. The red and white currants will be identical without leaves so you'll have to wait until they fruit to identify them.
      All three can be pruned anytime in the winter but I would think that if you only planted them last year you won't have much to prune..

Comment

Originally posted by kathyd View Post
        I agree - I'll leave them all until next year and hope they bear some fruit so I can tell what's what!

Will a pencil really withstand rain and snow on a plastic label?
        If it's a permanent feature; I get fast dry enamel, collect smooth stones from beach trips, and paint the names onto the stones and snuggle them under the plant so that I know what each is.

For non-permanent crops, same principle, but use chalk pen.
        Last edited by zazen999; 16-12-2011, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies - witty, cheeky and otherwise! Some really useful tips. Unless I forget them all of course eh AP?

Sorry about the delay in responding, I just have such problems getting to this website now, and even when I do I'm rarely able to respond to comments any more because the pages won't display properly and I don't often get a text box to type in . I don't have problems with other websites, so I'm not sure what's going on with this one.. Anyway, I may have to stop using it if it carries on like this because I can't stand the stress, and my hubby can't stand the swearing! So thanks again, and I'm not ignoring your suggestions, honest!
          sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X