Should I choose Achocha?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's very interesting JeremyB - welcome to the Grapevine
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Thank you Jeremy and welcome to the Vine. I have been given some Achocha seeds by one of the others members and am looking forward to growing them this year. I'm encouraged by your recommendation. Good blog too!

Comment

I think I will try and get hold of some of these seeds as well, the Father in law just had to cut down conifers in his back garden and has prepared the ground and put a chain link fence up. He has been looking for something to plant there veg wise and this looks like it would cover his chainlink fence and then some.
        My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

Which ones are you trying, Veggie, they could be quite different?
          Last edited by daylily; 14-01-2012, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Think they're Fat Baby, Daylily. I'll try any sort!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Think they're Fat Baby, Daylily. I'll try any sort!
              Those are the really rampant kind, as by Zazen. Still fun, if you have the space.

Comment

When should they be sown please?
                Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I'm going to sow mine in the next couple of weeks - whether that's right or not I can't say!! Looking forward to seeing these oddities rampaging through my garden.

Comment

Right there with you Veggie, got some seeds a couple of months back and have been waiting to let them loose on my Father in-laws garden ^^
                    My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      I'm going to sow mine in the next couple of weeks - whether that's right or not I can't say!! Looking forward to seeing these oddities rampaging through my garden.
                      Having read some more about them I'm not sure if I've got room for a rampaging bland thing.
                      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I'm hoping it'll swamp the weeds!

Comment

My achocha are climbing up a trellis but there's no sign of any fruit or flowers. They were in a pot and maybe I was too late planting them out
                          My question is - are they annuals or perennials and is there any chance of them surviving the winter outside?

Comment

Mine don't look like they'll be overwintering.

I grew mine in a flower bucket. They grew fairly well considering this restraint, but didn't exactly take over. The fruit was, err, as bland as expected. Not sure I'd bother again. To be fair, I should probably have made more of an effort to pick them small and actually use the darned things.

Comment

Thanks MBE. I'll leave them to their own devices then and see what happens. I would like to try some Maybe next year - I still have seeds.

Comment

Forgot I'd even planted mine, I must remember to check next time I'm down the plot

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X