Heated Propagator Advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
    Try 2 unheated propogators and a reptile heat mat. Place the base of one propogator down insert heat mat place second base in to prevent water on the heat mat and lid voila! (the reptile heats range from about 25 deg to 32 deg )

Always found it wasn't the germinating that was the problem, it's the lack of light....
    Well from what I've found on the amazon site I think I might end up paying a bit more doing it that way. Plus I'm going to be left with a spare lid. Good idea if you already have reptile mat doing nothing though.

Comment

I have a "Sankey 38 cm Premier Growarm 100" heated propagator

and all my Chilli's and Tomato seeds were fully through in 10 days.
      10 Days:

Darren
      Last edited by DGoulston; 25-01-2012, 08:43 PM.
      Chilli Grower
      mmmmmm Spicy Chilli.....
      +----------------------------------+
      | Blog: http://www.dg83.com/blog/|
      +----------------------------------+

Comment

I've bought the gardman super 7 off amazon. Its the perfect size to fit on the kitchen windowsill. I'm going to sow some tom's, peppers, chillis and aubergines in it at the end of the month, I'll let you know how I get on.

Comment

I've got several cheap heated Propagators from Wilkinsons £15 for 2 and also have a Sankey Growarm 100 and my chilli's (including several of the very hot varieties) are doing well but I would also invest in a Grow light as light issues are the greatest problem for early plants (especially as it's so grey and miserable at the moment).

Comment

i got a sankey 2000 variable prop for chrimbo and well pleased
            takes 4 half size/2 full size trays and had Naga's and such up in less than 7 days
            picture below is of the tray s and the seedlings are from saturday, which was 6 days after sowing
            liked it so much and have so many to do wifey bought me another which has arrived at home today
            gonna try some of the 225 blue/red LED lamps off eblag to get some light on them
            Attached Files

Comment

Just took delivery of my first ever propagator, so have to read up on it now...Hope to grow chillis and peppers this year so hence the purchase...

Are tomatoes worth starting in it or will a warm window sill suffice for them ?
              I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tripmeup View Post
                Just took delivery of my first ever propagator, so have to read up on it now...Hope to grow chillis and peppers this year so hence the purchase...

We start anything that needs heat to germinate in ours. So yes we do toms, but as with the 'whole thing' you don't need too.
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by Tripmeup View Post

If you've got room in the prop, start your seeds in it.
                  Most will germinate eventually on a windowsill, but will be quicker in a heated prop.

Remember to take them out once germinated though, or else the seedlings will rot in the condensation
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

think i'm in the same situation i.e. long-term longing for one, but haven't quite done the deed...think i will now though just for chillis, but feels a bit extrav...

Comment

I always use a prop for them, I find I get a better germination rate

Comment

Thanks to all for the replies....I will (room permitting) start some tomatoes in there and and also use the windowsill for some seed of the same types....will make it interesting for me watching both progress!! Never grown tomatoes before don't ya know....!!
                        I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                        sigpic

Comment

Grapes, what to do? I have a weird shortage of windowsills anyway, and after thorough research have concluded that my best bet (bathroom) is hopeless for a heated prop b/c, obviously, no accessible socket. So I can't get a heated prop. So...and at this point this post shd probably move to Vegging Out, can anyone give me tips re: how best to grow chillis without one?

Comment

Originally posted by Buleste View Post
                            I've got several cheap heated Propagators from Wilkinsons £15 for 2 and also have a Sankey Growarm 100 and my chilli's (including several of the very hot varieties) are doing well but I would also invest in a Grow light as light issues are the greatest problem for early plants (especially as it's so grey and miserable at the moment).
                            Great thread with lots of good information

If anyone is interested in getting the Sankey Growarm 100 then Amazon are selling them off for £15.00 including delivery

Sankey 38 cm Premier Growarm 100: sankey: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors
                            Last edited by plymouthred; 25-01-2012, 04:17 PM. Reason: Gloworm vice Growarm LOL

Comment

Originally posted by plymouthred View Post
                              Great thread with lots of good information

If anyone is interested in getting the Sankey Growarm 100 then Amazon are selling them off for £15.00 including delivery

Sankey 38 cm Premier Growarm 100: sankey: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors
                              There is a cheaper one also made by Sankey, same size but only the one seed tray so I think I'll be going for the one above.

Comment

Originally posted by donnakebab View Post
                                There is a cheaper one also made by Sankey, same size but only the one seed tray so I think I'll be going for the one above.
                                Is the cheaper one heated though? I haven't found anything cheaper online and my local garden centre wanted £25+ for the Growarm 100!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X