Pickled 'red' cabbage

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Cook the red cabbage with onions and apples and freeze it. Keeps its colour that way and lasts for years!! I know, I've just found some in the bottom of the freezer.
    I love that with either sausage or pheasant
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

northepaul,
      pickled red cabbage is nothing like braised cabbage.
      Think sliced raw cabbage and picled onion vinegar taste or coleslaw without the mayo!
      If used within a couple of months it's still quite crispy, and I love it with cold meats

Comment

The wonderful thing about red cabbages is that you don't have to do anything to prolong their life, I've found. Just store them somewhere cool and they keep for months. You can make a fresh batch of pickled cabbage every few weeks for months. I'm not that keen frankly!

Comment

Wow, I love the idea of using balsamic vinegar for pickling red cabbage. I will try soaking the red cabbage in strong red beetroot juice after salting. I think it could improve the colour.

Comment

I think the balsamic vinegar was for the cooked red cabbage and apples recipe. I have used a dash of balsamic (and raspberry vinegar) in pickled beetroot though.

Comment

Yes, I did mean for the braised version but you could put some in the pickled if you wanted I'd have thought. Post above has reminded me though that I have a lovely bottle of raspberry vinegar in the back of the cupboard which I forgot all about Result.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X