Beware the frost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware the frost

In last year's heavy frosts many people suffered damaged water butts when the water in them froze and expanded causing the butt to split.
    It is a good idea to drain your water butt at this time of year to prevent this. It also gets rid of old stale water and allows you to give it a clean out if debris has collected in it.
    Just remember to close the tap again in early spring. It will only take a few days of rain to refill it

I think there's going to be an evil frost tonight - its cold outside and clear sky (looks lovely mind).

Comment

Have you drained your butt Chris? Slinks off and giggles....am going to ask Mr VVG to drain his butt.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

My butt is broken. Currently it's on its side being used by the chickens as shelter i take from the poo in there.

Comment

Mine is emptying as we speak - cat got wet paws - not impressed at all
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
            My butt is broken. Currently it's on its side being used by the chickens as shelter i take from the poo in there.
            Don't you mix your poop with compostible stuff? I am mixing mine, never thought of keeping it separate. It's no longer in Aubiose now, but direct on paper (underneath roosting bars).
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Never drained my butts before and anyway its dark, cold and horrid out so I'll be leaving them for today.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                Never drained my butts before
                Lucky you, living on this blessed island kissed by the gulf stream.
                But from experience during endless-deep-freeze-continental-winters I can assure you: one frosty night won't kill them. Not even two.

Nellie
                ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                  Don't you mix your poop with compostible stuff? I am mixing mine, never thought of keeping it separate. It's no longer in Aubiose now, but direct on paper (underneath roosting bars).
                  I do yes, from the run floor (wood chip - its rotted to a mushy mess now though, time for a change), and newspaper in the coop with straw in the nestbox.. But this water butt is on its side, behind my greenhouse, and I'm guessing my chickens have been going inside it for whatever reason, doing their business then carrying on. Heck, they may even be toilet trained!

Comment

Corr, before the little ones too - how do you manage that? #henwhisperer

Comment

I threaten them with the oven probably daily. The other week I ran out late for work, dressed in pretty much my favourite shirt, to let them out - slipped in their poo - covered in poo and mud. Wasn't impressed.

Since then they've either seem to held it in around me, or go in the water butt I'll put it right ways up soon, and let it fill with water and then water my compost bin with that when it's dry / water the grass etc with it. They did wonders for my lawn when I let them go into our back garden. Destroyed it - but it grew back so lush and with such vigour, everyone who visited commented on how good the lawn looked.

Comment

I said that about my flower borders. I know people moan but mine has never looked so well weeded and small plants like cyclamen are naturalising like crazy. I miss my two chief weeders but am determined to get more when I can.
                        The coop is now up on the new orchard area grass and I keep moving it around. The moss is getting scratched out and the poops doing great things to the lawn already.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                          Whooooosh ! ! !
                          to VVG
                          Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Whoosh? Has my butt drained?

Comment

Never drained mine in my life over winter as I continue to use them whenever they're not frozen. Unless you have a sealed system they're not air tight like a pipe so when the water freezes and expands it can simply force the air up and out the top. Takes an age to fill them all anyway, what with 2full sized butts and an IBC on the lottie shed and another 2 butts on the polytunnel.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X