The Bush Tomato Thread 2012 and beyond

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Currysniffa View Post
    I was thinking of putting them in today Bren but its going to drop a little cooler (so they say) so I think I may just leave them in the greenhouse till the weekend now. I've got the bed ready. What spacing do you think 24"?

Not a bad idea to get them out the way. The Roma are from the seed you sent me VVG there nice strong plants and they've started to flower. Thanks again x
    You're very welcome
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• I went to my mates yesterday to swap tom plants. One of his contributions was a plum grown from seed obtained from Asda toms, last year we grew them as cordons and they were successful. This year he decided to let them bush and I have to say they look great strong plants, loads of flowers so we shall see.

Colin
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

• First ripe tomato today from a Texas Wild plant. Sown on 01/01/12. Lost label for one plant which has a truss of nearly ripe toms. The trusses on Dwarf Wax and Golden Grape plants will be ripe (fingers crossed within a fortnight). Maja is a tad behind the DW and GG plants. Other varieties are well behind. Now can I upload a photo? - no photos, file sizes too big

Comment

• I went to one of my plots yesterday where I plonked some bush toms in and they are streets ahead of any at home. Looking really, well, bushy! And lush and green. Must be the llama poo in the grass that the chap there put out for me.

Comment

• I've had a couple more off my Garden pearl that are in the garden.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Maybe blight resistant?

I've just been to look at my poor disaster area of outdoor garden which I have more or less had to abandon due to slugs and impossible weather to work in.

However, what I wanted to alert people to is the fact that the four Urbikany tomatoes that are out there are still growing and valiantly trying to produce flowers and set fruit (for the slugs to eat). The point being, they are still out there and growing and green. I had to cut my second earlies down at the end of July because of blight and I have received about 12 blight warnings since then so maybe these plants (as well as being as tough as stink) are also blight resistant/tolerant. If I'm wrong about this assumption - someone please tell me and I'll delete the post.

(They are from Real Seeds and I'm not on commission!)
              "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

• save some seeds for swaping then if you get viable toms

Comment

• Originally posted by taff View Post
                  save some seeds for swaping then if you get viable toms
                  Big if, Taff but I will certainly keep you in mind! It would be good to see if other people got the same sort of results. I'm going to make room to have them in the tunnel next year (I have some seeds left), they only grow to about three feet high so I can have them in the middle bed and give some of the north bed a break from tomatoes and then there will be seeds.
                  Last edited by marchogaeth; 28-08-2012, 03:18 PM.

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

• Absolutely - always keep seeds from toms that don't get blight!

Comment

• Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                      Absolutely - always keep seeds from toms that don't get blight!
                      Starting to feel obliged to go out and try and do something with them. (Oh look, there's a layer of hail stones on the ground and they're not melting.) Actually, have given them a pee feed to encourage extra leaf production and will try some old sheep fleece and (more) slug pellets when it is a little bit nicer to see if I can stop the wall of slime.
                      Last edited by marchogaeth; 29-08-2012, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                        Absolutely - always keep seeds from toms that don't get blight!
                        So is it not that unusual to find tomatoes that seem not to get blight when others do? I sort of assumed it was unusual because so much fuss is made about varieties (Ferlinie??) that are "blight tolerant/resistant" in some of the catalogues.

Comment

• Always plant some bush tomatoes as I am not very good at 'armpitting' cordon ones. This year have tried Garten Perle, the one or two small ones I have picked have been fine, Tumbling Tom, Red Alert and the last of my Oregon Spring seeds that I bought 2 years ago - a variety that is bushy, early and the fruit are big ... like Marmande! Will have to be more organised and save seed this year!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X