Veg vine show 2012 classes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
    You cant taste the vegetables that win the 'best...' competitions either though...?
    No, they are voted on their appearance. But a jar of strawberry jam is going to look largely like any other jar of strawberry jam, and bramble jelly/jam, blackcurrant jelly/jam etc would all look exactly the same? I guess you could vote on how nice the label and gingham cover are...

Comment

T'was only an idea.....I thought this thread was to encourage ideas???

Comment

It is indeed northepaul!

keep em coming folks
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

My only minor complaint was the threads were generally started on 01 sept,most of my good stuff had either been eaten or given away,if we could open the threads at an earlier date i think there would be more entries
          I would ditch the heaviest this or tallest that type classes as its not much fun.

Looking at the threads the most viewed ones were generally the ones you dont get at a ~proper~ nvs rhs show.Best failure,funniest veg, best container and any other item etc so it seems the more oddball classes are the way to go

IMHO

Comment

I think the only way the Vine Show can continue to succeed is if it's 'a bit of fun' (and I speak as a former moderator who has done a lot of the hard work behind the scenes in previous years!). By it's very nature, entries can only ever be judged on appearence and presentation. I think Pies is right in that the oddball stuff is the way to go. There are lots of real life local and national shows for the most serious growers afterall.
            I was feeling part of the scenery
            I walked right out of the machinery
            My heart going boom boom boom
            "Hey" he said "Grab your things
            I've come to take you home."

Comment

Originally posted by Pies View Post
              ive prepared a bit for next year,assuming there is a next year

Crikey Pies! I blummin hope there is a next year! or do you know something the rest of us dont.... I'll start collecting tins of food now!
              http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

Do remember peeps- you have to grow it NEXT year- no piccies taken this year or earlier can be entered.
                We've added this rule because next year may be dreadful for growing- then someone might archive from a previous brill growing year. It just makes it fairer.
                Agreed that it's difficult to compete between different time zones/weather/soil types/altitude- but hey-ho- tis just a bit of fun- and an honesty pack thrown in !
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                  Do remember peeps- you have to grow it NEXT year- no piccies taken this year or earlier can be entered.
                  We've added this rule because next year may be dreadful for growing- then someone might archive from a previous brill growing year. It just makes it fairer.
                  Agreed that it's difficult to compete between different time zones/weather/soil types/altitude- but hey-ho- tis just a bit of fun- and an honesty pack thrown in !
                  That could quite easily be solved by putting a bit of cardboard with the date on it behind the entry?
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Pies View Post
                    My only minor complaint was the threads were generally started on 01 sept,most of my good stuff had either been eaten or given away
                    Those who take part every year know to take photos "as they go". I don't know what the categories will be exactly, but I'll take a photo of my veggies in pairs or threes and save them until needed

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    That could quite easily be solved by putting a bit of cardboard with the date on it behind the entry?
                    And people would definitely be honest about the date they write on the cardboard

Most cameras have a date function: we could imprint it on the photo, but tbh I don't think there's any call for that at the mo. We aren't inundated with spurious entries
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Loads of interesting points raised but we must beware of over complicating things,for example (taking a lead From TS post) tallest sunflower is generally taken as a variety that grows 6 feet or more,this year I grew teddy bear sunflowers in pots by the back door,these are specified as 600mm high variety due to being a bit overzealous with feeding mine got up to 850mm (better than 30% over spec').I did not enter them as I feel it is not "in the spirit",if varieties are taken into account it could get very tedious
                      Last edited by bearded bloke; 08-11-2011, 10:24 AM.
                      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

A search for 'scarecrow' brought me to this thread and I see that the class might be dropped next year. I would be sorry if you did, particularly if you are going down the fun route.

I'd watched an episode of Claire's Allotment on utube showing how to make a scarecrow so I was already thinking of making one next year with granddaughter who will be just over 3. I've primed her mum to select something 'suitable' from her dad's wardrobe.

Would you mods have another think about this if a few of the lovely peeps on here pledge to make one? And come on everyone, this must be the way to go if we want young people to be interested in the lottie.
                        Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
                        Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                          What about best preserve and wine? Those that keep livestock - cutest piglet maybe - I LOVE piglets x
                          Mmmmmmmm. Roasted!

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            Those who take part every year know to take photos "as they go". I don't know what the categories will be exactly, but I'll take a photo of my veggies in pairs or threes and save them until needed

And people would definitely be honest about the date they write on the cardboard
                            Most cameras have a date function: we could imprint it on the photo, but tbh I don't think there's any call for that at the mo. We aren't inundated with spurious entries
                            Do you really think someone would be so deceitful as to photograph an exhibit more than once with different year dates behind it? (Hmmm........now there's a good idea!):
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X