short corn for windy lottie

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short corn for windy lottie

Hi everyone, I would like to tap the infinite bank of knowldge that is 'The Vine'. I am planing on planting a three sisters bed, in my first year on my weedy lottie. However it is a very open site and prone to strong winds, is there a variety of corn that is shorter growing (in stature that is), and if so what bean would be advisable? Also when should I sow what indoors?
    All info gratefully received.
    Love,light and peace Dan.

Hi punydan
    I've bought a heirloom variety for this year from the organic catalogue. http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalo...1b04a34367a2b0
    The strong plants resist lodging (falling over)
    One of the benefits of the three sister methods is that the beans 'anchor' the sweetcorn.

The end of the month will be a good time to plant your sweetcorn. For moon planting the 26 will be an ideal day. Soak the seeds from the night before.

Comment

Don't want to hijack this thread but it is sweetcorn related. Likewise I am planning on the three sisters method and decided to get my sweetcorn started first. I sowed 9 seeds in peat pots on Saturday (extra swift variety) but left them without checking for a few days. Today I had a look and all 9 have sprouted but are long shoots (they were in the dark!).

My question(s) are 1. am I too early (packet said mid-spring) and secondly, are long thin shoots normal for sprouting sweetcorn or have I left them in the dark too long? Should I start again?

Thoughts / comments, as always, greatly appreciated.

Thanks
      Last edited by Telford Grower; 03-04-2007, 08:39 PM. Reason: Grammer

Comment

They are usually long in the sense of 'grassy' looking. I would get them in the light asap and toughen them up. I'm not sowing mine for another couple of weeks - along with my climbing beans - but I don't put anything slightly tender out till June - I'm a bit further north than you and if stuff gets clobbered late May your crop is going to be very late from a second sowing.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks RB, I'll follow your advice on luna planting as this seemed to work great for my toms. I take it the waxing moon pulls the shoots up with its gravity. Groovey. I've already been given some 'Bodacious F1' and 'Minipop' and was thinking of planting a mix of the two however I heard they cross pollinate which changes thier offspring isthis true? If not then I will try these two and the 'Golden Bantam'. I am now going to search other threads for more info on moon planting.

Comment

Cheers Flummery. Luckily with only a small area in the back garden, numbers involved aren't large, so I think I will sow the other half packet in a couple of weeks and decide what to plant out later.

Many thanks

Comment

I sow my sweetcorn at the end of this month into loo rolls and plant out usually beginning of june(still in their loo roll planters) with half pop bottles over them for a few nights.Any earlier than this and still risk of odd night of frost(even had snow in may a few years ago.I'm same area as Telford grower and have found this the best time to sow and plant.

Comment

Hi punydan

Minipop is a short variety for ickle corns used in stirfries, hope that helps.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

I'm planning to grow Minimop. I know it does the small corns, but anyone know how tall the plants get.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X