Cherokee Trail of Tears climbing bean

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    Broad bean hummous, broad bean salad, put them in soups & stews, broad bean wine (actually scratch that last one, it's yucky)
    I quite like my broad bean wine I made last year, a bit on the dry side for OH and you can feel it after the first glass but definitely drinkable. Was a bit worried the strength might give me a hangover but was clear as a bell the next day which is always a bonus

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Maybe I'll test it again in a year or so Alison. I hate to waste stuff, but at the moment it's undrinkable
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by alex-adam View Post
        I also have Bridgwater climbing bean, rather mediocre crop but fabulous taste
        I LOVE this bean, so easy to spot (it's nearly black) amongst the green foliage. Thanks Flummery...

... who also sent me Moonlight, which is an OMG bean: SO prolific. We eat it dry as a butter bean (had some tonight in fact)

Comment

beans have been one of the successes of this awful year,we had 3 bucketfuls from a double 6ft row but melons stopped growing/ripening,raspberries rotting on the plants,same with toms in the g/house,never mind,next year can only be better,fingers crossed,touch wood,all things being equal,god willing,hopefully,and now down on bended knee...begging,next year WILL be better...

Comment

Originally posted by StephenH View Post
            Broad beans are nice, but I'm not growing them in the future because the yield per unit area of ground is much too small. From now on, it's climbing runners and Frenchies only.
            how far apart are you planting them? I went down to about 5 inches between plants at the most, and had a stupendous harvest.

Comment

We always get more broadies than we can eat too. I've still got some pickled in jars for eating in the depths of winter

Comment

Bad year for beans here, though the cherokee produced quite well compared to the others*. First year I've not been able to freeze any, though I have been disorganised having the new wee one and away from the garden for three weeks so lost some cropping time!

Got enough of the heritage ones for seed at least though, so roll on next year!

*(it was lack of water here too that did for them I think)
                Last edited by Rabidbun; 24-09-2011, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Update on my beans !! - Although the crop was rather meagre I entered my Cherokee Trail of Tears beans in the 'Heritage Veg' section at our town show ........1st Prize !!! - what more can I say??

Comment

^ you hustler you

Comment

Will try my broad beans closer together next year Taff!
                      Had plenty of french beans, found if I didn't pick my Cherokees very small they were stringy and not very tasty. Probably my least favorite variety this year. Blue Lake, some purple ones (Cosi Violette?) and Eve all were still sweet and tasty at a much larger size so even if I only managed to pick once a week they were still worth having.

Comment

I find them stringy too, so I eat them as a dried (kidney) bean

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X