No announcement yet.

Good year for spuds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well with the enthusiastic help of the little Reetlets, I've harvested the rest of the spuds from the second King Edward, this evening: 5lb 12oz which when added to the 14.5oz from the other day makes a pretty impressive 6lb 10oz (by my reckoning) from one plant!!! Well pleased with that and all good sized potatoes from jackets to roasters

Reet
    x

Comment

Duke of York ok, Picasso marvellous, Blue Danube very disappointing.
      Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
      By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
      While better men than we go out and start their working lives
      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

[QUOTE=jonohanson;884013,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,didn't get enough water or food. Also lots of little holes in many spuds.

A good manuring for next year I think[/QUOTE]

I think the holes will have been made by keel slugs and virtually render the spud unuseable once you cut it open!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Reasonable OK yield here from growing in bags - Kestrel, Harlequin, Orla and PFA - but the plants finished very early. No blight (in fact either no blight warnings or my subscription has failed!).
          I did water a fair bit early on (good soak once a week)

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            I think the holes will have been made by keel slugs and virtually render the spud unuseable once you cut it open!
            Invest in some nematodes next year matey and apply at earthing up time. pricey but effective - very. Very small holes could be wireworm. You actually seen slugs?

Comment

Haven't done too badly overall. I did post (somewhere on the vine) a while ago that I had tipped a bucket of Charlottes and harvested about 2 1/2 lbs and carefully put the tiny ones with their foliage back into the bucket. That was about five weeks ago. Yesterday I tipped the bucket again and got a full 3 lbs of big usable spuds so it was definitely worth doing.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
                Blue Danube very disappointing.
                As I know you planted them after me I hope you haven't dug them all up yet!?
                mine are still in the ground and seem to be doing ok, but won't be growing them again due to the amount of foliage they produce, must be at least 4' plus.

Comment

RustyLady gave me the smallest of her Roosters this weekend. This baby one was 1lb 7oz (670g). It fed two of us as a jacket, and contained *about* 850 cals
                  Attached Files
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

This was my first year growing spuds
                    I'd guess that the swiss cheese problems you have are due to wireworm, they live under grass and survive up to two years, notorious for attacking tatties when you have just converted from pasture.

This baby one was 1lb 7oz (670g)
                    Jings !!

Well, I'm damned if I can remember what I planted. Some mix of Lady Balfour, Orla, Kestrel, Osprey and another white potato which I know I'd never tried before, plus definitely some Red Duke Of Yorks. I had more than half a dozen Blightwatch warnings and at least two full Smith Periods, early blight was all over the place, but after all that panicking none of my tatties came to grief before I finally cut the haulms off; I am getting big (not TS big though !) baker size spuds even from the RDOYs which went in last. As usual I will lift them as I need them and that will give them more time to keep bulking up.
                    The increased warmth and rain here though prone to creating blight conditions, came at just the right time to help the tatties grow bigger. Judging from what you guys were all saying at the time, blight aside we had much better growing conditions here in the Northeast.
                    There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

My pentland javelins were weird. Quite a good yield but very tasteless and floury. Wondered if I'd got them mixed up with something else but they died back at the right time. I grew them in an old bath with cardboard mulch rather than earthing up. I'd added a lot of multi-purpose compost to nasty clay so maybe that didn't give the right nutrients to make them tasty?

Second earlies were Kestral in a new bed. Some wireworm holes and scab but not too bad especially as I took a while to harvest them after they died back. I'd covered with cardboard after planting as well but the girls (the chickens that is) kindly scratched some of it up for me so some green ones. I think I got about 8lbs from about 1lb of (or 5 individual) seed potatoes but that is very guessed. They taste like proper potatoes, yey!

The maincrop Maris Pipers are in the first bed we ever created. For some reason I didn't cover these with cardboard (or earth up) and it looks like there are lots of green ones on the surface. Must remember potatoes need dark! I've cut back the foliage but am waiting to dig them up as I've read somewhere it helps them to keep better if the folliage is cut back first. So will have to wait and see but from all the green ones on the top it looks promising, just hope there are some nice ones lurking underneath.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                        RustyLady gave me the smallest of her Roosters this weekend. This baby one was 1lb 7oz (670g). It fed two of us as a jacket, and contained *about* 850 cals
                        Amy and I had it's (slightly) bigger brother for dinner tonight. Weight 1lb 10 oz - baked potato for two with some left over.

Comment

Today I harvested my 45 gallon plastic tank and was very pleased to get just over 22lb of lovely Picasso

Colin
                          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Best cropper I have had so far is Apache followed by Amour and Kestrel. In the field everything is cropping well but the Maris Bard look and taste tremendous this year. I emptied out a few more grow bags today and the peat is totally soaked with all the rain we are having.
                            Potato videos here.

Comment

Haven't heard of apache Iain. Show potential?

Comment

No you could not show them as they are all kinda shapes. They tasted ok when they were mashed. I have a few potential show ones that are coming along nicely. One was in the first prize group of 4 plates at Dundee flower show. It looks very much like Kestrel but with stronger colour. Oh may I say well done Mr Member of the Month
                                Potato videos here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X