No announcement yet.

Over wintering onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many thanks all. The usual cataloges/websites seem a bit short on overwintering onion seeds, so I'll look at realseeds: new one for me.

LB

Comment

Gave up growing all types of onion,not a cost effective crop,Tesco now supply mine!

Comment

Radar have given me very good results from a full pack this year I've lost 3 out of about 80.
        Plot06, Rochdale

Comment

Senshyu...............the first, and still the best as far as I am concerned!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Autumn planted onion sets are not bred for long storage, but are designed to be available earlier and used up till your spring sown main crop are ready. I sowed Troy, Radar and Red Electric last year and all three sorts have done well. Will probably keep me going in onions till Nov.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by scarletrunner View Post
              Gave up growing all types of onion,not a cost effective crop,Tesco now supply mine!
              I can understand that. I'm starting to think the same: they just don't thrive on my soil ~ it must be American soil because squashes, beans & sweetcorn do great
              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 07-07-2011, 07:00 AM.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I aim to be self sufficient in onions through to the end of March. I do my utmost not to give Tesco any part of my market

Comment

We grew enough from sets last summer to keep me and my mate windy right thought winter and spring.
                  This year i have doubled the quantity. The spring grown and planted white onion sets are doing well, but the red onions are doing nowt. (see the gaps)

Roger
                  Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X