Calabrese catastrophe

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pic Yeah!!!!!!

Thanks Shadylane, you were right it was too big, managed to sort it once I knew what I was looking for.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Roseanna; 05-07-2011, 08:16 PM.

Comment

If that was a cauli I would say 'buttoning' i.e. small heads that run to seed.

Can I ask (a) Where you are growing them? (b) Did you harden off properly before planting out? (c) Did you make sure the ground was firm before planting? (d) Did you kepp them well watered during the early dry spell?

Colin
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

It's definitely calabrese, they were raised in a cold frame which was open all day from the beginning then outside for a few days before being put in the plot in my back garden. I did make sure the ground was firm and the watering is ok I think, the other bras in the same bed are all fine. It's seed from a packet I had the same problem with last year. I have a different type of calabrese in another bed which is doing fine.

Comment

May be a problem with the seed then. If a plant bolts prematurely then any seed from that plant may well inherit the same characteristic.

Comment

I wonder if what you have there is some type of brocolli raab - it grows very fast and only produces those small sprouting heads which do indeed turn to flowers very quickly. Nip off the flowering bits and see if you can catch the next lot of sprouts as they form.
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

What's 'raab'?

Comment

Originally posted by Roseanna View Post
                What's 'raab'?
                Broccoli raab, Rapini, Cima di Rapa Seeds

Comment

My first thought was that it could be raab or one of the new types of broccoli. I have grown raab that looked just like the picture and the similar looking Brokali Appollo last year bolted very early during a hot spell.
                  History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

The packet just says 'autumn green calabrese' it's a wilko one. Well it was, it is now in the bin, I don't think I'll risk that packet again. I decided to dig them up in the end as I have a couple of homeless caulis and kale to put in. They were well rooted and the ground is moist so it's still a mystery . I'll chalk it up to experience and be grateful everything else seems to be doing really well, so can't complain really.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadylane View Post
                      All my bras are carp this year. Cabbages - carp - cauli - embarrasing, calabrese - shameful. Really really pitiful. Blame it on the weather and tell yourself next year will be better. Oh and btw your piccie may be too big. There's a size limit I believe. Can you shrink it?
                      Hmmmmm....caaaarp!

I suppose occasionally you might not get the seeds in the packet you are expecting, for instance, one of my 'sutton' dwarf broad bean plants is nearly as tall as i am!!!
                      <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

That's very true too - I grew what was supposed to be 'Walking Stick Kale' last year, and it turned out to be Dwarf Green Curly Kale

Comment

CAlabrese can be tricky runs to seed easily, from what has been said I would put this down to duff seeds. I have found anything a bit tricky it's worth buying F1 seed. 'Ironman' is my variety of choice for calbarese ,good sturdy plants great taste . Only sow in small batches as being F1 they will come ready all together and in general Calabrese don't stand well we grow them in batches of 5 and expect high germination rate. Hope this helps
                          Last edited by Plot06; 07-07-2011, 12:24 PM.
                          Plot06, Rochdale

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X