Rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
    Where I grew up in South Manchester we said not to pick them after October 10th because the devil had trailed his coat tails over them so they were dry and pippy. (They are by then too!)

Flum
    Hey Flum - that's my birthday!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
      Hey Flum - that's my birthday!!

Blackberry pie instead of birthday cake?
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I don't think you notice it as a change of flavour. It's just more acidic so you add more sugar and it tastes the same. More fattening though! This is why you make Rhubarb wine in May. You want the wine dry, but not acidic.

Flum

Comment

1 LJ thanks for the trouble you are going to for me.
          2 Flum my (or rather Granny Dragons) Rhubarb pie/tart/crumble is never fattening as we use splenda not sugar coz I is diabetic
          3 Flum haven't made wine for 40 years as its so cheap to buy, Aldi sell a lovely
          White Zinvandel for £3
          It's not the growing old I mind but the growing stupid with it!

Comment

I can make a gallon for £3.00! That's 5 free bottles!

Comment

With regard to rhubarb growing higher every year, is it OK to transplant the crowns? I have a few plants dotted about the patch and would like to keep them tidier by putting them all in one raised bed?
              I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Hi Terrier,
                Best time to do it is of course Winter but that would mean not much crops next year. So I suggest that you move half now taking as much soil as pos with them and giving them a big dollop of muck both under and on top and keep them well watered. Move the rest next winter after the leaves have died back. crop the unmoved ones this year and then the moved ones next year. this way you get crops both years and have a back up if anything does go wrong. I have a feeling that if you try to kill rhubarb you will probably fail
                Last edited by Grandpadragon; 11-04-2007, 08:29 PM. Reason: Spelling again!

Comment

I can make a gallon for £3.00! That's 5 free bottles!
                  I bet you didn't cost in your labour at min labour rate of £5-25/hr
                  Any way I'd rather sit on the patio with a glass and watch the plants grow, and another thing I got to get some pleasure out of my pension
                  Last edited by Grandpadragon; 10-04-2007, 01:24 PM. Reason: Grammer this time

Comment

It's not labour if you enjoy it Grandpadragon! What would our veg be worth if we costed them too? We do it for the pleasure (and the second pleasure of eating/drinking later!)

Comment

There's a saying about the devil and blackberries too. Where I grew up in South Manchester we said not to pick them after October 10th because the devil had trailed his coat tails over them so they were dry and pippy. (They are by then too!)

Flum
                      As a child I was always told the Devil spat on the blackberries after a certain date - but it was earlier than October - think it was 16th ish September.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X