No announcement yet.

Showing veg

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations Suky - though it does sound like you may have been bitten by the showing bug - beware, it can become a bit of an obsession!!
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
      Well done you. I'm sure that my advice was peripheral to the undoubted quality of your exhibit. What you will find is that by trying to find matching sets of veg, it is totally ruinous to what should have been the kitchen crop. I grow for the kitchen nowadays and grow separately for the showbench. A lot of the show varieties are popular for that purpose because they tend to produce uniform specimens which does tend to make things easier. Keep us posted with your August show. p.s. the red ticket will probably hook you into showing. It's a lovely feeling seeing one on your entry.
      I think you could be right about the varieties, I grew Casablanca potatoes as Medwyn recomended it but, while it produced nice even shaped pots, they are watery and crumbly when cooked.
      As for your advice being 'peripheral' I think it may have just given me the edge

Comment

Some recommended varieties for the showbench;
        Potatoes (coloured) - Kestrel, Blue Belle
        Potatoes (white) - Winston
        Peas - Show Perfection
        Broad Beans - Imperial Green Longpod
        Runner Beans - Stenner
        French Beans - The Prince
        Shallots - Hative De Niort
        Stump Carrots - Sweet Candle
        Parsnips - Pinnacle, Albion
        Beetroot - Pablo
        Turnips - Snowball
        Cucumber - Carmen
        Tomatoes - Cedrico
        Leeks - Pendle Improved
        Large Onions - Kelsae
        Onions (250g) - Tasco
        Onions from sets - Setton, Hercules, Red Baron
        Obviously there are many many others but, with the exception of the Winston potatoes, most of the above are also good for eating (though the leeks require that much work that I wouldn't grow them for eating - I'd just stick to ordinary culinary leeks. Most varieties are good for normal growing but just require some (or a lot of) pampering for show standards.
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for that, Rat. I probably wouldn't grow leeks to show anyway, don't really like them and we have several very competative men at our club for whom leeks are 'it' and it would take too much time and effort to really compete.
          I will print out your list and add it to my folder so I can look for the right things early and not leave it so late next year.
          Did have a very nice comment from another competitor about my strawberries. He said if I had had another judge they would have won as the winning redcurrants were not of even size. He even asked for some runners this autumn as the variety is unknown (to me).

ETA: you guys from north of the border are great, thankyou
          Last edited by Suky; 26-06-2011, 03:22 PM. Reason: Gushy thank yous added.

Comment

Originally posted by Suky View Post
            ETA: you guys from north of the border are great, thankyou
            Aww, more talk like that and we'll help you again. but we really aren't that nice, as soon as you start winning, you're on yer own kid

Comment

Originally posted by Suky View Post
              Raspberries 4th, strawberries 2nd and...........drumroll please...............my cabbage came first! Thanks to AP's sage advice I didn't over trim and although it wasn't the largest in the class it was the best. Woohoo!
              Next show is the autumn one on August bank holiday. Ok, where is that schedule....................
              Congratulations!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X