Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lettuceleaf View Post

What is the tastiest potato to grow?
    Now there's a question you'll get many different answers to! Personally I'm growing King Edwards, Pentland Javelin and Pink Fir Apple this year. All of them have great flavour and different cooking
    qualities.
    If you have limited space I would suggest a trip to the shops to see what the most expensive varieties are. Pink Fir Apple are a good example of this as a very small bag is over two pounds!
    When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Well king Edwards are very tasty and a great alround potato mash roast chip they do it all .it's why there so well known and there quite an old variaty .it's all we use in the kitchen at work as we know wot we will get from it ..if you want news charlottes are a great flaver but I think there a little latter thanmost first earlys to harvest ..rosters (main crop )are great tasting .and heard Maris piper are good eating potatos .depends on wot you will use your potatos for most ..but as I said king Edward do it all ..so that's wot I'm growing ..first year but will keep to them as there so versatile .
      My year log of growthhttp://http://backgardenfarm.blogspot.com/
      up dated blog 27th june ..pls read if u have the time
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e0YjOHl2zI

Comment

Don't think they are King Edwards even the all white variety is oval. Looks like some kind of first early to me maybe Lady Christl.

Colin
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Lady Christl are probably the tastiest new potato I've ever eaten. To end up with a tasteless lady Christl you'd have to be doing something weird. Interestingly they seem to develop more flavour if left for a day or two after lifting.

Comment

Deffo not Lady Christl - they are more oval and have a yellow skin and yellow buttery flesh (they also happen to be our fave first early).
            There are so many round white potatoes it is almost impossible to say what they could be - not King Edwards I agree as there is no sign of the red splashes. The "tasteless" description leads me to say Maris Peer - a "wet" tattie bred and grown for the canning market - tastes of nothing but water - I planted 25kg of these 3 years ago and couildn't give the resultant crop away.
            But before some other grape comes along and disagrees with me, everybody has different tastes and wet tatties are not very popular up here in the Highlands where "floury" tatties rule the roost.
            Rat

British by birth
            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Have to agree with you about taste SC, I have 2 dustbins and 3 large planters full of Lady C ready to start harvesting in the next week or so. I also like them because they can stay in the ground as second earlies without any ill effect.

As to leaving them a couple of days before using maybe the chap who told me to do just that was right after all.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Looks like winston to me. I'd ban that tattie completely. Total lack of taste, horrible texture and really wet. Might as well eat a bar of soap.

Comment

Tastiest early tattie for me is Red Duke Of York.

Comment

One of the giveaways for Maris Peer is its purple flowers. Might that give LL a clue.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                      Looks like winston to me. I'd ban that tattie completely. Total lack of taste, horrible texture and really wet. Might as well eat a bar of soap.
                      Could be Winston but it is not that common in the garden centres. I know it is a tasteless tattie with little to recommend it but it very good for showing.
                      Rat

British by birth
                      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Epicure is a cracker.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                          I have been lead to believe that you should keep/rest even new spuds for a couple of days before eating.
                          I'd never heard that, but it's interesting. My tasty Charlottes were eaten within the hour and were delicious

Originally posted by lettuceleaf View Post
                          Some plants have flowered but the stems (haulms) are still green and vigorous. ... What skins there were, were easily rubbed off between thumb and forefinger.
                          Yep, early spuds have skins that haven't toughened at all and can be easily rubbed off: they won't store long though. You can eat any spud at any stage of its growth: grow maincrops if you want a potato to store for use over the winter.

I harvest them when the foliage has started to yellow and die back (because it's not going to grow any more after that)

Originally posted by Creemteez View Post
                          Personally I'm growing King Edwards, Pentland Javelin and Pink Fir Apple this year. All of them have great flavour
                          Pink Fir are my overall favourites as a salad potato. The best jacket I ever had was an Osprey from Tesco, but it didn't do well for me when I grew it

This is a good resource for choosing what to grow: Potato Varieties - Potato Council
                          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 23-06-2011, 07:22 AM.
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I grow Pentland Javelin which are very white, not tasteless though, could yours be those.
                            Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                            and ends with backache

Comment

I'm very happily eating Arran Pilot at the moment......

Comment

The only totally tasteless spud I've grown was the Sarpo when it first appeared.
                                I tried it because of it's blight resistance. Never again- although I think there are a few types of Sarpo on the market now, so they may have remedied that problem?????

SR....Maris Peer are watery???....oh lordy- I've planted a pile of those cos I thought they might be like Maris Piper- and I couldn't find those when we were in the UK at Xmas.
                                Last edited by Nicos; 23-06-2011, 07:49 AM.
                                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X