"stopping" Tomato plants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingkano View Post
    I knew my greenhouse toms were bad and way behind, but they are only just flowering ... Do you all have heated greenhouses or something???
    No, but they were sown in January (see Early Tomato thread)

I don't do any kind of pollination either - apart from moving the plants around when watering/potting on, they do it all by themselves

Originally posted by wadsleyowl View Post
    Am I right in understanding that loads of flowers does not guarantee decent toms & that as such less is more?
    The flowers will nearly all turn into tomatoes, but they won't necessarily ripen as our season is so short in the UK. They'll definitely struggle to ripen if we get yet another cool wet summer like the last 3
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 22-06-2011, 02:51 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Tomato flowers will usually set fruit as pollen readily falls off the anthers. However, they are naturally pollinated by bumblebees that create a vibration to make pollen fall on to the stigma. Commercial growers use bumblebees as they increase the yield by around 40%.
      This year, I've been using a Beepol bumblebee hive in my greenhouse but have also shaken the flower trusses by hand.

The moneymakers have on average 10 fruits setting per truss.

Comment

Originally posted by Chef_uk View Post
        Nope, in fact i overdone the shade paint so its quite cool in mine. Nearly gone through a litre of tomato feed already mind, maybe that's caused your slowdown?
        Feeding? Definitely isnt lack of that or watering, perhaps too much water not sure. They did seem to stop for a few weeks after planting out. Maybe it was too cold/potting on shock - not sure. Some seem to have stopped for a month.

Maybe they have stood still longer than I thought. Oh well always next year I guess....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X