No announcement yet.

Winter Varieties? Also onion question.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey helgalush - I have been reading this with interest as I just bought my stack of seeds to grow through the colder months once my garden's summer romance ends. Like you the addiction has taken hold and I don't want to stop!

I found this website -More Veg Home - moreveg.co.uk, vegetable seed company, vegetable seeds, herb seeds, flower seedsquite good as I also have a smaller garden in pots and a trug and they sell seeds in managable numbers.

They don't have as huuuuuge a range as some of the big companies but my favourite bit is that they do sell small amounts of seed - I'm never going to have room in my trug for a thousand rocket seeds or even ten pumpkins. This lady however sells things like pumpkin in three-seed bags and carrots and radish by the hundreds rather than the thousands.

I have already planted some mini pumpkins and squash and courgette and had 100% germination and have my colder weather stuff ready for when I can put it in - everything came with really clear instructions and, sweetest of all, a hand-written note telling me to have happy gardening. Oh and I ordered late one wednesday night and got my seeds by the friday morning!

Sounds like I work for them now but I promise I am on the level, great service and great quantities for trug gardeners!

Comment

Originally posted by Helgalush View Post
      If you want to grow veg to crop in winter, ...do you need to select particular varieties that are designed to do this?
      Others have answered you, I just wanted to say what I do: mostly I grow kale, chard & cabbages over winter. These need to be sown in May (ish) and planted out July (ish). I leave a quarter of my plot for these, they usually go in after the broad beans or early spuds.
      They need to be netted against butterflies & pigeons

I also have winter-hardy lettuces: Rusty & Winter Gem which I leave to self-seed every year. Also radishes, which grow better for me in autumn than summer, and chinese veg
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

During the winter I'm eating a lot of stuff that I've stored: pumpkins, kidney beans, various frozen veg & pickles/jams/chutneys

I'm still eating last summer's sweetcorn from the freezer
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi_Soph View Post
          Hey helgalush - I have been reading this with interest as I just bought my stack of seeds to grow through the colder months once my garden's summer romance ends. Like you the addiction has taken hold and I don't want to stop!

I found this website -More Veg Home - moreveg.co.uk, vegetable seed company, vegetable seeds, herb seeds, flower seedsquite good as I also have a smaller garden in pots and a trug and they sell seeds in managable numbers.

They don't have as huuuuuge a range as some of the big companies but my favourite bit is that they do sell small amounts of seed - I'm never going to have room in my trug for a thousand rocket seeds or even ten pumpkins. This lady however sells things like pumpkin in three-seed bags and carrots and radish by the hundreds rather than the thousands.

I have already planted some mini pumpkins and squash and courgette and had 100% germination and have my colder weather stuff ready for when I can put it in - everything came with really clear instructions and, sweetest of all, a hand-written note telling me to have happy gardening. Oh and I ordered late one wednesday night and got my seeds by the friday morning!

Sounds like I work for them now but I promise I am on the level, great service and great quantities for trug gardeners!
          Thank you, that website sounds great and I have bookmarked it in my faves to have a good look through later. Its good that they only send you a few seeds with each purchase as I hate feeling like I might waste any seeds before their 'sow by' date. (Got carrot seeds coming out of my ears!)

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            Others have answered you, I just wanted to say what I do: mostly I grow kale, chard & cabbages over winter. These need to be sown in May (ish) and planted out July (ish). I leave a quarter of my plot for these, they usually go in after the broad beans or early spuds.
            They need to be netted against butterflies & pigeons

I also have winter-hardy lettuces: Rusty & Winter Gem which I leave to self-seed every year. Also radishes, which grow better for me in autumn than summer, and chinese veg
            Thank you for that, I have kale and swiss chard seeds (and some growing), thats useful to know.

I havent yet ever stored anything to last me - I usually eat it all as soon as its up, but then thats because I am growing things on such a small scale I guess.

Comment

Interesting to read this thread, lots of helpful tips

Comment

Hi
                I've just had a delivery from this company.
                The website has great suggestions for winter growing & has unusual varieties & small quantities.
                Their ethos of seed saving is also worth reading, I for one will view seed saving as an essential from now on.
                Great Vegetable Seeds from The Real Seed Catalogue

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X