Mushrooms in my Veggies - Advice Please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Germinater View Post
    Hi again .is the mesh keeping it bamp and moist??there could be spores in the dpc not sure how it works .weather they serialise it or not ..as for the cilia I would persavier a little longer iv had mine in since late march and they have only started to head in the last few weeks..also cauliflower like firm soil so not sure how firm the soil in the trig would be if was filled resonantly so maybe that could be a problem in them being a little slow..I would personly not be to worded about eating the edibles in there if your removing the mushrooms when they appear as any potential poison is in the mushrooms but I would never tell you it's fine to eat I would say use your own descretion.. If your that worried about it then don't take the chance and spend your days worrying about eating it..
    Thank you - I'm afraid I did lie awake in bed a little last night worrying but mostly just feeling disappointed about it as its taken me a lot of effort (I have an illness that really limits what I can do) so the thought of starting again is awful....

Anyway I have decided that the net is not helping and is the obvious place to start - I have left it open today - perhaps I should have been doing that all along but then the flies would get in to my caulis! - I will see how it goes and if it makes a difference I will take it off altogether. I wouldnt be so sad about losing my caulis as losing the whole lot, so to speak.

I will see what happens with that.

Thank you for the reassurance about the cauli's too - its my first year growing any kind of brassicas so think I am waiting for it all to go wrong or be lost to pests!

Comment

Take the net off!! Flies won't harm any of your veg. Also your compost doesn't look very good - very woody and in my humble opinion not fit to be sold as MCP. More like soil conditioner. I use B & Q multipurpose which does contain peat but which is usually very well rotted down. Be reassured, the mushrooms won't affect any of your crops, and you can safely feed your bunnies (but not with mushrooms)

Comment

Helga,

If your worried about cabbage root fly make some collars out of cardboard, old felt more or less anything.

Fit these round the stem of your plants level with the compost this will stop the little buggers larva getting to your roots.

Colin
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
          Take the net off!! Flies won't harm any of your veg. Also your compost doesn't look very good - very woody and in my humble opinion not fit to be sold as MCP. More like soil conditioner. I use B & Q multipurpose which does contain peat but which is usually very well rotted down. Be reassured, the mushrooms won't affect any of your crops, and you can safely feed your bunnies (but not with mushrooms)
          Thank you for the advice. The nets are coming off! Thats a shame that I have bought duff compost. I usually buy B&Qs own but this was on offer and had a Which? Recommended logo on it so naturally thought it was a good deal. I have contacted the makers of the compost to see what they say.

thanks for the reassurance about the mushrooms.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
            Helga,

If your worried about cabbage root fly make some collars out of cardboard, old felt more or less anything.

Fit these round the stem of your plants level with the compost this will stop the little buggers larva getting to your roots.

Colin
            Yes this and is it cabbage moths/cabbage white butterflies? Thanks for the info about the collars - will try and make some today.

Comment

I don't know how much time you can devote to gardening but butterflies and so on lay their eggs on the leaves, usually but not always on the reverse side of the leaf.

What you will see with gabbage white for instance is a small cluster of tiny yellow eggs. Squashing them at this stage = no larva, no larva = no damage.

Hope this helps Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I don't know how much time you can devote to gardening but butterflies and so on lay their eggs on the leaves, usually but not always on the reverse side of the leaf.

What you will see with gabbage white for instance is a small cluster of tiny yellow eggs. Squashing them at this stage = no larva, no larva = no damage.

Hope this helps Colin
                Yes lots, thank you.

Would toilet roll inners make good collars? Thats probably my simplest option, if I can just make a cut through the tube and fit that under it? I usually have loads of those lying about (for the bunnies and recycling)

Comment

The commercial collars are about 3" round with a slit cut to the centre of the collar. This is placed around the stem of the plant at ground level.

The root fly lays its eggs on the stem of the plant and when they hatch the grubs crawl down the stem into the ground and attack the roots. The idea of the collar is to prevent them getting into the ground.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

The commercial collars are about 3" round with a slit cut to the centre of the collar. This is placed around the stem of the plant at ground level.

The root fly lays its eggs on the stem of the plant and when they hatch the grubs crawl down the stem into the ground and attack the roots. The idea of the collar is to prevent them getting into the ground.

Colin
                    Oh rightio, with you now, sorry - I have seen these in catalogues etc. For some reason I had read it as vertical but I know just what you mean now. Thanks!
                    Last edited by Helgalush; 22-06-2011, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X