marmande tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
    Hmph, I'm going to try Janurary next year then I've got flowers on most of mine now, but none seems to be setting yet.

My March sown plants are huge now.. yours must be massive! Have you stopped them growing yet?
    Chris just been out to measure they're around 4ft tall with 7 trusses, theres around 2ft before they reach the top of the canes/roof.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Does anyone else think that tomatoes grown outside not only lack flavour, but have much tougher skins too? I suppose it's only to be expected if they have to withstand all weathers. I only have to look at my face.......
      When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
        Chris just been out to measure they're around 4ft tall with 7 trusses, theres around 2ft before they reach the top of the canes/roof.
        I'm just about getting my 2nd truss on the majority of mine! Defiantely going to go earlier next year.

Comment

Sungold up to fifth truss and stopped of due to lack of height fruit on lower truss's about golf ball size.

Tumblers fruit again about golf ball size.

Both sown 27/02/2011.

Colin
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I have grown Marmande in a green house with excellent results and have got some growing now with two to three trusses set on each plant and some fruit are approx 2" dia already.
            johntheeng

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
              Sungold up to fifth truss and stopped of due to lack of height fruit on lower truss's about golf ball size.

Tumblers fruit again about golf ball size.

Both sown 27/02/2011.

Colin
              I keep seeing mentions of Sungold here on the vine so I'm putting it on my next years list of 'must have'

Comment

Bren,

I have been growing them for some years now. I find them very easy to grow, tasty and prolific, though the seed is expensive.

This year I have 6 plants up to five truss's and expect to harvest approx 15/20 toms per truss. If all goes well that should add up to about 450/600 toms.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info Colin sounds like Sungold are worth their high price.

Comment

I am growing sungold for the first time this ,large plants four foot high with 5 or 6 trusses but only marble size at the moment, the marmand are onle about three feet tall with not so many trusses but golfball size tomatoes.My best tomatoes are maskarena three foot high but covered in fruit some nearly tennis ball size,they are a beefsteak, been growing these for a few years and have always been the earliest,largest and most prolific,good taste too.

Comment

Mine were sown in March and have set two trusses, one of which has several tomatoes on. Mine are in tomato tents as my greenhouse tomatoes are in just that!
                      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I'm even more disappointed with my poor tomatoes having read this thread. I started early as an experiment this year, also sowing in January
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Bren do remember one thing, if you think you need say 3 plants, plant 4. This takes into account the fact that quite a lot of the toms won't leave the green house except in your tummy.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X