Cuccumbers-root distubance?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuccumbers-root distubance?

This year I am trying to grow veg for the first time. I have sown some cuccumber seeds in a shallow seeds tray. I was delighted to see them germinate and now I can see tips of the second set of leaves. I was going to let them grow a bit before repotting them to individual pots and then eventually plant out. But last night I read on another forum that cuccumbers dont like root disturbance! Shall I move them into paper pots now before they grow any bigger? or shall I start new seeds in paper pots and give up on these beautiful babies

I'm not sure about the root disturbance thing to be honest - someone else might know more, however, i don't think i've ever had a problem with other cucurbit vegetables?

When i've sown cucs, squashes, pumpkins (same family) before i usually sow individually into 3 in pots then they stay in there until ready to plant out - saves the trouble of pricking out regardless of root disturbance!
    There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
    Happy Gardening!

Comment

Hi

Good question, I will also be interested in the answer, in general terms.
      These fibre pots, can any veg without a tuberous root be grown in these, do the roots just grow through?
      And the same goes for homemade pots made from thick paper?

Tiger

Comment

Originally posted by Tigerella View Post
        Hi

These fibre pots, can any veg without a tuberous root be grown in these, do the roots just grow through?

Tiger
        yes - the roots just grow through. I planted out my broad beans that were in paper pots and they had lovely root systems that had grown through the paper. I've also used the peat type pots and they work just the same.
        There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
        Happy Gardening!

Comment

I have a similar problem. I planted 4 cucs in 3" pots on the window ledge. . One died (after moving it under a cloche in the polytunnel). A couple of days ago a second keeled over and was lying pretty well flat against the rim of the pot.

Nothing to lose I filled the pot with seed compost propping the cuc up.

Whether coincidentally or not, it has now straightened and a 4th leaf is showing.

I was wondering whether it would be sensible to now repot the three into bigger pots ?

Anybody have experience of this ?

Cheers

Comment

I normally sow cucumber seeds one per 4 inch pot. They are like courgettes and squashes and I believe that a seed tray is not deep enough for them.
            [

Comment

I potted on my Cuc's on Tues night and thought I had killed them when within 30 mins they had killed over and were all limp and floppy. I was gutted!!!!!

But the next morining I looked in on them on the way to work and they were back to their normal again. So dont give up when you think you have killed them, they may just need a bit of time to get used to their new home.
              I have now put them in pots that should keep them going until they are ready for planting out.

Comment

I started mine off last year in 3 inch pots. When i was going on holidays in may i had no one to look after them ans planted them in my garden. When i got back they were still alive but looking a bit sorry for themselves and so I dug them up and brought them into the greenhouse again. They cropped the whole summer long with no problems.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tigerella View Post
                  Hi

Tiger
                  I have had no problem with the paper pots mde from throw-away laser printer paper. The root just push through the bottom anyway. They might take a bit longer to break down that news paper, but I don't consider them an issue.

I have also re-used cut-off bottoms from cardboard containers and just made a little hole to ensure that root will not be blocked. No issue with those as well.

For cases where I knew it might take some time before planting out, I opted for using toilet rolls instead of paper pots.

Comment

I did transfer the seedlings into paper pots on the 30th and I am delighted that they didnt react much to any root disturbance and are growing very well.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X