Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a ppm meter should tell you how strong it is

Comment

I'm not risking it undiluted unless any one of you grapes has any further advice?
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

There's a good comfrey article here :-
        allotment.org.

and it goes on to give results in a measured experiment rather than watering it down until it looks like weak tea.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks Bren, it is obviously very potent stuff and so cheap!

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one. We made 4 bottles of nettle feed and starting using it in the last week. I complained about the smell (and living in the countryside there are some potent smells round here already) but it was only when the OH used it yesterday that he agreed. Good thing there is no smell-o-vision on this thread.

Comment

After reading this thread this morning I noticed a few small nettles near my yard so plucked some tips and put them in a milk bottle to brew

Soon I will be able to smell the wretched smell for myself hehehe (although I can imagine already)
              Should I be worried that I was motivated by a thread about PONG!?!?

Comment

Nah Bronwen, the motivation will give you healthier plants and at least you've been warned about the stench! Be very, very careful.

Last edited by Florence Fennel; 05-06-2011, 06:48 PM.

Comment

i have around 15 litres of this tea all have turned black now i hope thats a good thing lol

Comment

What's the recommended dilution rate anyway? How do you know how strong it is in the first place? It's a bit hit & miss, isn't it? I guess it's one of those things you learn after about 20 years of doing it.
                    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I can , sadly from personal experience, heartily recommend the use of a pair of marigolds when decanting the stuff. Thought I'd be all manly today and didn't bother with the rubber gloves and my hands reek
                      Clay soil is just the big yins way of letting you know nothing good comes easy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
                        What's the recommended dilution rate anyway? How do you know how strong it is in the first place? It's a bit hit & miss, isn't it? I guess it's one of those things you learn after about 20 years of doing it.
                        I generally dilute my feeds to the colour of weak tea. Slightly stronger mixture for brassicas and courgettes.
                        As for the 'strength' of the feed, I tend to aim for consistency in the amount of time I let the mixture sit. 5 weeks for me. I accept that conditions like hot weather affect things (hot weather? In Scotland? He laughs).
                        I decant into milk jugs but leave the tops loose. It's just a theory, but it's a living breathing substance and I don't want it going anaerobic. Just a theory.
                        Last edited by mrpaulbradley; 05-06-2011, 10:42 PM.
                        Clay soil is just the big yins way of letting you know nothing good comes easy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpaulbradley View Post
                          As for the 'strength' of the feed, I tend to aim for consistency in the amount of time I let the mixture sit. 5 weeks for me.
                          5 weeks! I can't wait that long - I only started it on Saturday & I need it now!
                          Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                          By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                          While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                            I've just read in the July GYO that you shouldn't put a cap on the bottle as it may ferment and explode
                            Well I've always used a cap and never had an explosion - although you should leave a 2" expansion gap because gases do build up

What's the recommended dilution rate anyway?
                            I use a glug, splash or dash, into a watering can

Originally posted by mrpaulbradley View Post
                            I can ... heartily recommend the use of a pair of marigolds
                            I'd recommended not splashing some into your wellies
                            (although it's great used as a kind of mace - I once got some repulsive misogynistic abuse from a taxi passenger while on my bike. I chased & caught the cab, and emptied the comfrey tea through the window. Then pegged it )

5 weeks! I can't wait that long
                            Go out for a walk and stuff a carrier bag then... it grows wild almost anywhere.
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                              There's a good comfrey article here :-
                              allotment.org.
                              and here's a direct link to the PDF for those who like shortcuts

My lotty neighbours are forever barrowing loads of horsemuck around the place, then battling docks & other weeds that come from it.
                              They asked me about my comfrey bed and I explained I've never used FYM, and comfrey's more nutritious than horsemuck and even Tomorite anyway, so they both had a few bits of root. The empire expands!
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've come across a source of house manure now.. was going to go pick some up and let to rot down for a while .. I thought it improved the water retention in the soil? That's really the only reason I was planning on using it.

I've just started to dig out my comfrey bed

Hoping it'll shade out any young knotweed shoots that decide to pop up, as where its going is rampant with the stuff.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X