Tomato Problem.White on leaves

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato Problem.White on leaves

A few of my tomato plants have gone a little white on some of the leaves.. Looks like the coulour has just gone from parts of the leaf.

It seems to have affected the smaller plants from a sowing.. the plants are about 6" tall and in 3" pots sitting on a sunny windowsill.

Should I destroy them asap so that others are not affected or is threre a cure for the poor things

Thanks

Ally

Sounds like they have been scorched by the sunlight through the glass. Tomatoes need light but the light through glass can be too much for them and does cause transparent patches to form.

If it isn't too severe you can just move them into a place where they are out of the bright sunshine.
    Last edited by pigletwillie; 29-03-2007, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Hello Ally, as Piglet says, your tomato leaves could have been scorched through the glass. Or if it has been cold at night that could be the reason (plants which have been chilled can turn white). Whichever way, as Piglet says, move your tomatoes away from the glass a bit.I'm sure they will be fine.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi

Thanks Piglet and Alice..Will try moving them and hope they are ok..

Cheers

Ally

Comment

I may be stating the obvious but don't water from above as water left on the leaves under full sun acts as a magnifying glass and can scorch leaves!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

One batch of my toms has got similar bleached patches - i initially thought they had got chilled as i had just put them in the greenhouse (heated) from the house but it was that week when it was suddenyl very cold! However, i think it was actually the heater which was too close to them because they were also a bit 'floppy', i've moved them away from the heater and they've perked up considerably.

Don'y worry about the leaves - they'll grow out of it, and once they're 6 foot tall you won't even notice!!
            There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
            Happy Gardening!

Comment

Thanks Snadger and Protea also for your help.. They seem to have settled down again and I have now moved them into the greenhouse permenantly which is heated at night.

I never thought about the water acting as a magnifier when the sun shines on the leaves so thanks for that tip.

Cheers

Ally

Comment

Hi Ally, If the leaves have white bits, it's likely to be what everyone says - sunburn. But if the leaves look mottled and the lighter patches are pale green rather than white, it could be Mosaic Virus. If it is, burn em.
                Last edited by Norm; 06-04-2007, 05:50 PM.
                http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X