planting out butternut squash.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planting out butternut squash.

I am clearing a new bed at the allotment to plant out 2 BN squashes. If I clear the surface (grass and weeds) and fork in some well rotted muck can I top it with cardboard and plant the squashes through the card? I have some topsoil to cover the card but need to repress the weeds in the soil, bindweed, galloping buttercup (can't call it creeping, it moves too fast) and mares tail amongst others.
    Any advice?

I've just read TS on another thread Suki say that pumpkin foliage shades out weeds, so I would think this would apply to squash too? However, like you, I am planting some through cardboard. It was originally intended for a spud bed, so has been down since last October.
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Planting through cardboard should work, but I would advise sinking a large plastic bottle upside down (with the bottom cut off) beside the plant in case you need to water.

Comment

Ooh, good idea. I have some sitting in the shed that would do nicely.

Comment

You could also stick a cane through the bottle, so once all the foilage is around you can see from a distance where the bottle is, then locate it more easily.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
            You could also stick a cane through the bottle, so once all the foilage is around you can see from a distance where the bottle is, then locate it more easily.
            You could also stick a tennis ball on top of the cane so you don't inadvertantly poke yer eye out!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
              Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              You could also stick a tennis ball on top of the cane so you don't inadvertantly poke yer eye out!
              I am actually going to grow them over an old arch covered in trellis so finding the base to water shouldn't be a problem. Wonder what I can grow underneath? MMmmm, hadn't thought about that!

Comment

I guess it depends on how much sun thr ground would get.. I'm doing similar - but have a globe artichoke next to the arch site (for height interest), and will be growing some lettuces/cut and come again salad.

Comment

I am growing all my salads at home this first year so I can keep a closer eye on them and Mum can pick them if she wants. I do have a tray of onion sets that were planted in cells that might like it there or maybe some cabbage or cauli. Then perhaps I could use the arch to support some netting to keep the butterflies off. I should add that these arches used to hold up Mum's roses but they rotted at the base (Gardman metal arches) so we cut off the bottoms and now they are about 5 ft tall and I have 3 of them.

Comment

I do the same as Chris with the sticks. Helps a lot come mid summer. I put old plastic milk bottles on the top as they rattle in the wind. I like to think this keeps the birds away from the plot.

I also plant in little inverts, so the water stays in and around the roots of the plant.
                    Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse
                    • Florence Fennel
                      Reply to Cooking Tonight #5
                      by Florence Fennel
                      Today, 10:21 AM
                    • greenishfing
                      Reply to Chitchat thread #24
                      by greenishfing
                      Today, 09:42 AM
                    • Vince G
                      Ginger
                      by Vince G
                      Anyone ever tried growing their own ginger?

I'm having a go and have followed an instructional video on YouTube about it. I picked a lump of root out of the supermarket with "eyes" on it, little buds that then expand and burst to form the long stemmed leaves.

Not...
                      Today, 09:28 AM

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X