No announcement yet.

Chelsea & RHS - Plant with bees in mind

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops. How about campion and clover, bits and bobs like that?! Could be your wildflower patch.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Hellebores, euphorbias? Both shade loving.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

They'd be ideal, if they will compete with the grass? Ideally, smother it completely!

I should probably start a new thread to avoid taking this one off topic. Wildlife or flower forum, do you think?

Edit: And I don't know what any of the things you're saying are. Except Clover. That's like butter.
        Last edited by mrbadexample; 26-05-2011, 06:00 PM.
        Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
        By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
        While better men than we go out and start their working lives
        At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Pulmonaria - it's happy in the shade if you add some manure and compost to the soil. The leaves get a bit mildewed if they get too dry, but if that happens I just cut all the leaves off and give them a bucket of water, and they cheerfully come up again.

And it has lots of quirky nicknames.

How to grow: pulmonaria - Telegraph
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

i try to grow for bees and at the moment i have a good excuse for not mowing the lawn theres a patch of clover flowers

Comment

Originally posted by dave_norm_smith View Post
              . My parents grew a bed of the phaecelia last year, I swear I have never seen so many or so many different species of bee in one place.
              They love it! It's like bee heaven - I let mine flower for the bees: YouTube - ‪bumblebees on phacelia‬‏
              It doesn't show the huge number of bees on them, but you get the gist
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
                Is there anything I could grow in the borders ...thrive on nothing (i.e very limited soil), out-compete the weeds, and be zero-maintenance?
                Crimson clover. I've sown it on my lotty path mainly to keep the grass weeds down. It's never been watered and is only 4" tall but it's flowering its socks off (it would get to a foot tall if I watered it)
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

When I go to the garden centre's I look for the plants whose flowers are teaming in bees. Yesterday I bought some Allium karataviense Ivory that the bees were going nuts over.

Thank goodness for the Beepol hives though!! My original one is still going after over 3 months and a wax moth attack! Two, maybe three lots of new queen bumblebees have been produced in this period so I'm really buzzing!!

Comment

Ooh...we may have a winner.

I need to get the weeds up and see what soil's there, if any.
                    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I'm printing the list so I can study over the weekend. I have a variety of spots that don't have tomatoes in them()lol, I mean flowers and shrubs, so I'm sure I can pop a few more to help.

I'm hoping to establish a good snack point for my own bees when I get them next year!

Happy planting!
                      Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

There was a piece on the BBC Breakfast Show this morning from the Blue Peter Garden, so it's getting plenty of publicity. I've got quite a few alliums and the bees love them.
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Alliums are on the top of the list for us. The boss has wanted them for years but we never seem to pick any up. The colours will also work as the garden has a definate blue and white biase for most of the year.
                          Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

They like oriental poppies too according to the list, of which I have loads but never see the bees in them. My Daphne plants, lavenders and salvias get smothered. I had two fat bumbles in the greenhouse today but had to put them out as they were banging their heads repeatedly against the glass.
                            Has anyone seen the Omlet Beehaus? I rather fancy one of those one day, sigh...
                            Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 27-05-2011, 01:02 PM.

Comment

The ones up here love the foxgloves. (They sound very funny when they're inside - the pitch of their buzzing rises dramatically)
                              The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

My foxgloves are just about to burst into flower, ditto the lavendar with a bit more sun. I've grown borage from seed this year (but the plants are still tiny at the moment) and a kind friend has given me some Vipers Bugloss seedlings which will flower next year and the bees love those. I've also got poached egg plants and nasturtiums.

I think it's really important that more people grow flowers for bees and other pollinating insects, it's great that the profile of this cause is being raised. Nice one dave norm smith!

Mrbadexample, foxgloves might be okay in that little bit of land too, they can cope with quite a bit of shade.
                                Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X