My cucumbers are pathetic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
    I am afraid that I think all mine have been dished out - or I'd offer you one. I've given away a tray of plants a day for the last few weeks; give or take a day here and there......so I'm down to minimal supplies.

I can have a butchers at the weekend to see if I have a lowly cuke sitting somewhere wanting a new home to go to....it will be a white one though - not a fancy green one.
    I have offered my surplus too!
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Well that was good or not! Went out this morning and I off mine had commited suicide during the night. Checked the roots and sure enough to much water and not enough heat.

The growing tip is in its milk bottle and if this one is successful will post pics.

Colin
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I only sowed mine last week, so they are just seedlings at the mo, but I'm hoping I've done myself a favour waiting for a bit of warmth. Mmm we'll see.
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Well good luck to all whose cukes are only small yet - may we all be blessed with big uns!!!! ooh er missus!!

Comment

Mine are still only little plants too. In this part of the world, it's not advisable to put them in an unheated greenhouse til the end of May, so I never rush them. Oh, and there's the fact that I'm on my second sowing too, as all of the first batch keeled over and died Don't panic chaps, it's not that late in the season yet

Comment

Originally posted by Wendie View Post
              Goodness knows what has happened to mine. They started off briliantly but have slowed down to less than a tortoise speed. The bottom leaves have gone all crinkly and all told they're about 5 inches tall if that. I was so looking forward to cuc butties but maybe give it a miss. They're still inside on a south facing window sill looking pathetic next to the tomatoes.
              YES^ what she said lol. My bottom leaves have fallen off.

I will take the advice given and see if that perks them up any.

Comment

It worked as I thought it would 7 days later we have this, will give it a couple more days and pot it up.

I don't really need it as I have my 4 plants but if it progresses I will post more pics.

Colin
                Attached Files

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Just re-read this, and spotted the bit about the south-facing windowsill... Probably too hot for 'em. Cuc's prefer a bit of shade to be honest, not full baking sun.
                  Last edited by SarzWix; 27-05-2011, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Cues are strange creatures, I grew about a dozen, 3 different types, Armenian Yard long, Burpless, and telepathy, and kept 2 Burples, and one of each of the others and I've had 4 cues of the Burpless all over 14" , and 3 more that could be taken off if I needed them, 1 off the Telepathy 12" and none from the yard long. I gave away the other 8, and no one I gave them to has had any fruit from them yet, 1 guy says he has a couple of small ones on the burpless, but nothing off the rest. And they all came out of one respective packet.

Comment

Well, my pathetic cucumbers are now deceased lol... oops.

Will go buy a few plants, as I do like cucumbers.

Managed to do a bit better with other fragile plants though, got a couple of healthy sweet peppers and a couple aubergines. And one chilli, which I completely overlooked (killed all the others off), and is actually much healthier than the two shop chillis I bought. I sowed about ten of each, tis true, but never mind! And I have some nice tomato plants that really really need a bit more space, its growbags for them shortly.

Comment

Well the revived cumber is now doing very well.

TIME LINE.

20/05 plant dies and leading growing tip placed in water.

27/05 Pic taken of roots grown so far.

30/05 Plant potted up, by this time the roots where between 1 1/2" & 2" long. Using a 6" pot with and inch of new MPC in the bottom the roots where carefully spread out (like the spokes of a wheel) and then curled round so they more or less covered the first layer of compost, more compost was added to fill the pot. Since then it has been watered sparingly from the bottom until we have today what can be described as a very nice plant. At this rate I expect to be havesting cumbers by the end of the month.

The milk bottle is for scale.

Colin
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Potstubsdustbins; 07-06-2011, 09:20 PM.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Good save Colin.
                          Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                          By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                          While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X