Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think this chap will eat my lettuces?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think this chap will eat my lettuces?

No, but he will eat slugs, who would eat your lettuces. He's your friend.
    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

As above, no but you could eat him with a nice salad with your lettuce in

but yes, he is a goodie!

Comment

Frogs are carnivorous, they'd no sooner eat a lettuce than Mr TS would
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

AAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH -fer fer fer rogs scare me! I would have been back in the house and up those stairs quicker than Lynford Christie with the trots!
          http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

Good job my hens aren't there as they love pecking them to death and running round the garden shouting chase meeeeee - I have a toady froggyyyyyy!
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I found a frog in my compost bag last week. I jumped a foot in the air - mainly because I thought it was a mouse when it first moved. Knowing how good they are at getting rid of slugs, I carefully transferred him to a nice new freshly prepared abode ie a washing up bowl, in deep shade with bricks, rough twig, so he could climb out when he went ahunting, and a couple of inches of water. He sat on the brick for a few seconds, plopped straight into the water and tried to hide under the brick. I was very excited (I really do need to get out more!) and OH came out to see what was grabbing my attention as I kept creeping back to check he was OK. 15 minutes later the ungratefuly little beast had done a runner (well hopper) and I haven't seen him since. I have left everything where it was and hope he will return to his des res. At the very least I hope he is still in the garden. I really think he must have been making a difference as I am not too plagued by slugs this year. On the other hand, it is extremely dry here in Essex so perhaps the slugs are just biding their time!

Comment

Originally posted by Sanjo View Post
                Knowing how good they are at getting rid of slugs ...
                *whispers* they actually prefer worms
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  Have you actually counted to see how many they eat of each ?
                  There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Perhaps that should have read "how good they are SUPPOSED to be!!" then. I thought many grapes actually encourage frogs as wildlife on their plots because they are good at disposing of slugs. I thought worms were good for the garden. Help - Now I'm confused!!!! and believe me, cold as I am in my little Norfolk camping field, that doesn't take much!!
                    Last edited by Sanjo; 19-05-2011, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Well I've never witnessed them eat either, but me mum's garden which is quite wild and has had frogs for years doesn't have a slug problem. Me mum-in -law says since they got rid of their pond there's been more slugs. Our garden is slug city(though hopefully not for too long now we have a wildlife pond).Our allotment has slugs but they're not a major problem and I've seen frogs there(before we put our pond in). I think they definitely help. Maybe Two_Sheds froggies were having to make do as all the slugs are in hiding what with all the dry weather.

Comment

Only one creature kills slugs DEAD and that's my number one hen. Available for duty at a fair price!:-) Bag of corn or garlic porridge should get her signing up.
                        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Well I have lots of frogs and lots of snails in my garden (hence the copper tape in the pic above) so either the frogs are lazy or they are eating worms instead. I tread on a frog about once a week - I can never see them in the grass, and it never fails to give me a big shock.

Comment

Can't blame them for that, we all do
                            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

The year we found a frog inside the mesh cover of the strawberry bed was the year we got NO slugged strawbs. They are little treasures (but I do have to keep the hens away from them!)
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X