Grafted tomatoes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
    The more I hear of these, the more I think that my greenhouse is going to be hopelessly inadequate.
    Hmmm. I've got five grafted tomato plants in a Lidl plastic greenhouse. I've got to squeeze three chili plants in there too....might be a bit cozy. Hopefully!
    Mal.

Comment

How big's the greenhouse? Mine's only 6'x6', but it's low too - only 6'6' at the apex. Last year I grew 9 normal tomato plants in there, and I think the lack of air circulation and overcrowding encouraged botrytis, which cost me a fair bit of fruit.

Definitely no more than 6 in there this year - maybe even less.
      Last edited by mrbadexample; 20-05-2011, 09:27 PM.
      Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
      By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
      While better men than we go out and start their working lives
      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by maljackson View Post
        I've got five grafted tomato plants in a Lidl plastic greenhouse. I've got to squeeze three chili plants in there too.
        hahahahahahahahahha

I repeat - hahahhahhahahahaha !!!!!!!!!!!!
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Put them outside in BIG pots for the roots? They can help anchor the blowaway

Was in B&Q yesterday and picked up a grafted "Britney" sweet pepper, I'm blaming this post! Normal ones in the GH last year were a total waste of space, this might be the way to go.

Comment

Grafted tomatoes?

I am only talking about the tom supports. Where I live, canes and ties are out, curly spiral poles are the thing. I am attaching a picture but don't know if they are in the UK yet. You just carefully, without snapping stem, wind young Tom round it into the spiral.
            Attached Files

Comment

Yep saw these last year in my local garden centre for a ridiculous amount. They were also on fleabay!
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

My grafted toms have overtaken my early Galina as the first to flower. Well, open flowers, anyway.

Mmmm....turbo tomatoes.
                At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Monty Don was talking about those last (?) week. He said they need powerful supports.
                  Bought 2 reduced ones in Dobbies and they are in raised bed, so I hope the roots will help anchor them. There is a really high wind blowing in from the sea today, think I had better go and tie them to the canes!

Comment

How am I getting on then?

Conchita:

Elegance:

The weight of the fruit snapped the bottom truss:

Dasher:

And the three fruits, left to right, Elegance, Conchita, Dasher.

I have to say I'm most impressed with the Conchita, for sheer numbers. Obviously, there would have been more in all the photos had I not eaten some.

On Gardeners' World, Monty Don reckoned they weren't worth £2.99 against the price of one tomato seed. I can see his point, but if you only have space for a few plants, it would be worth it. They cartainly are prolific. They taste fine, although I do have varieties I consider to be better (my favourite this year is Galina).

I wonder how long into the season they'll last?
                    Attached Files

Comment

I got exactly the same varieties as you (free though).

I wasn't impressed - not at all. Maybe I got them too late in the year? But they just sat there and sat there. I got maybe half a dozen toms off them to date... not a patch on my seed, sown in Feb
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Mr BE take a pat on the back, nice looking plants.

Did warn you about the truss though.

Colin
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                          Mr BE take a pat on the back, nice looking plants.

Did warn you about the truss though.

Colin
                          I'll take a pat on the back from MOM anytime.

And yes, so you did! It doesn't seem to matter - I've just left it there and they're ripening well enough. I've had the same happen to a non-grafted outside one, but I thought that was mostly due to the wind.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X