No announcement yet.

Chilli Help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had big probs with aphids, I think year before last(maybe). Our garden was mainly full of grasses with very few flowers. Since I started growing more flowers I've seen more ladybirds and the aphid problem is no more(touch wood). I wouldn't bother buying them in, they'll just fly off once they've feasted. Like chilliking sez, build them a home and grow some flowers in pots if you don't have a garden. I tied a few canes together and hung on the fence. I actually had one sleeping in one over winter. I might make one of those towers though this year, they look pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
      spraying washing up liquid on your plants by making a slippery, lubricated surface which the bugs cannot grip on
      The washing up liquid covers their skin, blocks up their breathing holes and suffocates them

Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
      how can I encourage ladybirds to come?
      They need something to eat (aphids, vetch, thistles, hibiscus, passion flower and Buddleja.) and somewhere to hibernate (bundles of stalks, inside sheds etc) and something to love (other ladybirds). I don't think you'd have any luck keeping any that you introduced, unless your conditions are right
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 28-04-2011, 02:31 PM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by chilliking View Post
        I'm a big fan of having ladybird nest boxes in the garden as they love to eat aphids.
        We've got a nest box in the garden which has been inhabited by solitary bees instead of ladybirds! It's fascinating watching the bees at work though :-)

Thank you everyone for your advice. I'll let you know how I get on :-)

Comment

get an elderflower tree/bush, the young twiglets get covered in blackfly, you'll have lady birds quicker than you can shake a stick

Comment

Thanks guys. I don't think they would stick around once the flies have been eaten, there are no flowers or places to nest really. I don't have room for anything else either really! I might put a ladybird box up, and can squeeze in a few marigolds but I'm not sure if the ladybirds would find it - I would probably have to introduce some.

*heads back into garden with sticky tape and washing up liquid*

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X