Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• preparing brassica bed...?

Hello,
    I was just reading up on growing cauliflowers and found that i should have had my brassica bed all prepared and manured last autumn and be liming now.. obviously i haven't done this and now have some lovely seedlings and don't have access to a time machine.. :0( Is there any way to still grow healthy brassicas? The plot hasn't been heavily cultivated in the last year as a car accident stopped play last spring (just whiplash but it completely stopped me doing anything vigorous for all of last summer) and is quite a good loam which bizarrely seems clayey when wet and sandy when dry with a chalky clayey bedrock and grows a vigorous mix of nettles and brambles when unattended and fumatory when disturbed.. should I a) add nothing and hope for the best, b) add lime on it's own c) add chicken manure d) add chicken manure now and lime is a few weeks d) add garden compost e) add garden compost and lime later or f) add everything (leaving lime as late as possible)?

Many thanks :0)

Becca
    I have a dream:
    a dream that, one day, chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I am in the same boat as you. Don't bother manuring unless very well rotted which can be dug in. I am only liming my planting holes. Don't panic as you have a while yet and they can be put out by day to harden off in this glorious weather!
    :-)
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

That makes three in the boat then. I've got some manure in my compost bin, that's been there for probably 6 months. Should I be using that or not?

What's all this about lime?
      Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
      By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
      While better men than we go out and start their working lives
      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

6 months is fine - that's what I use. Some wait 12 months. I lime the hole to guard against club root. Brassicas like alkaline soil - lime changes ph from acid to alkaline.
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Cheers VVG. How much do you put in? I've a while to go yet, as my cauliflower are still weeny seedlings, but it is one of the veg I'd love to be able to grow well. Take up a huge amount of space though.
          Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
          By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
          While better men than we go out and start their working lives
          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Pelleted chicken manure is fine to use if you didn't manure last autumn. I often use calcified seaweed instead of lime as it only neutralised the soil and can't be overdone. Use rhubarb leaves in the planting hole if clubroot is a problem, and make sure you have strong plants to start with.

Ian

Comment

I tend to sprinkle a bit in the plant hole although some dip the football in it, but I don't.

Comment

thanks all :0) looks like all is not lost.. i'm not sure how well rotted the manure from my chooks is but i have some pelleted stuff from my pre-hen days so i'll use that up and lime as i plant them out.. :0)
                I have a dream:
                a dream that, one day, chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Chicken poo better and higher in nitrogen than your gee gee. Sounds like a good plan there.

Comment

Don't worry that your ground isn't prepared - brassicas like firm ground, to the point that you're supposed to tread them in around the plant when you put them in! Cabbages and brussels sprouts won't form a nice tight head/sprouts if the ground is too loose.
                    Lime - I have never limed my soil in 5 years on this plot, and my brassicas always do well, so don't worry too much unless your soil is acidic.
                    Chicken poo - needs to be very well rotted, otherwise it can 'burn' the plants, so your pelleted stuff will be better this year I reckon.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X