Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pattypan summer squash + climbing beans together in containers

Hello!

I want to grow some patty-pan / scallop summer squash together with some cobra beans (climbing french / haricot style) in containers.
    Consistent advice seems to be to put 4 bean plants to a 45cm pot. The containers I want to use are 30l(?) flexitrugs, I think they are about 45cm wide and 30cm deep. How many beans do you reckon would be happy in a container of this size with a patty pan? I haven't grown patty pan before but I have grown cobra beans and courgettes, both were pretty vigorous. I'm thinking I could get away with 2 x beans to every 1 x patty pan. Ideally I'd like to get 3 beans in there but I don't want my crops to suffer.

Thanks!

To be honest, i would not really put anymore than 2 beans in there, Pattypans are hungry feeders and it is better to have less plants and more crops (must remember to take own advice ) Good luck and let us know how they work together in the pot

Comment

I wouldn't advise on any more then 2/3 beans to a pot if it's sharing it with a squash. The nitrates the beans give off will help with the growth of the squash, so expect a squash plant with plenty of nice green leaves.
      Last edited by ginger ninger; 20-04-2011, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Hmmm...I'd go with 2 beans too.
        They'll need lots of watering and feeding in a pot that size though! ( maybe morning and evening)

Cobra are lovely- I'm growing them again this year!

Pattipans get heavy if you leave them to get to a nice size-I presume you're going to let them rest on the ground?...good tip is to lift them off the ground slightly so there's a bit of airflow beneath them. (Dry straw/piece of wood/brick for eg)
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'm wondering if I should just keep them seperate now... it's just that space is at a premium in my patio garden, not to mention the cost of compost.
          I haven't eaten or grown patty pan before but I thought I'd give it a go because I do really love squash, I was planning on harvesting them when they are quite small and tender, for frying or stuffing. I'm growing some potimarron for storing. I will start collecting squash props though just in case I change my mind!
          I grew Cobra for the first time last year as an experiment next to some Blue Lake, I'll never go back they are gorgeous!
          Thanks!

Comment

...give it a go...go on!!!! ...you know you want to!!!!

Comment

Would this work with other tyes of beans too.....broad/dwarf/etc?
              The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
              William M. Davies

Comment

oh go on then... maybe I'll post some piccies later so you can see how i'm getting on

Comment

Originally posted by Paulieb View Post
                  Would this work with other tyes of beans too.....broad/dwarf/etc?
                  I'd say not...although I'd be happy to be proved wrong!!...(possibly a broad bean ??)

The idea is that the climbing beans have their leaves above the height of the squash plant- and so don't compete for light

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    I'd say not...although I'd be happy to be proved wrong!!...(possibly a broad bean ??)

The idea is that the climbing beans have their leaves above the height of the squash plant- and so don't compete for light
                    Cheers. Got some yellow french beans about 4 inches high at the mo, so can chuck them in with some mini Balmoral Squashes. Will keep the broad beans separate.
                    The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
                    William M. Davies

Comment

Interesting forum. I'm growing veg for the first time ever this year. Need advice, I have at my disposal a 1meter square raised bed 40cm ish deep including soil underneith.I can also get some pots. I have seeds for patty-pan custard whites, courgetes, sutton dwarf broad beans, barlotta beans and polestar runner beans. I just don't know what to plant where and with what and how many for the best use of space and decent crops etc. I can buy some pots but don't know what size to get or again how many?please help as I'm desperate!

Comment

Originally posted by pottymarigold View Post
                        patty-pan custard whites, courgetes, sutton dwarf broad beans, barlotta beans and polestar runner beans
                        They are all fine together, you don't need to worry about "which with what"
                        Courgettes/squash are BIG plants, aim for a square metre for each.
                        Beans: about 9" apart

Originally posted by pottymarigold View Post
                        pots ...don't know what size to get or again how many?
                        Look at the spacing above ^

Start your seeds off in modules or 3" pots. They can go outside into their permanent homes after you've hardened them off and after your last frost
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi. I have two 45 litre pots at my disposal. I have some broad beans (sutton dwarf), runner beans, borlotti/climbing french beans, courgettes and patty pan squash growing in smaller pots and i was wondering whether I could transfer some in to these to bigger pots? I do have a 1 metre square raised bed as was going to sow lots of salady things but could use that as well if I don't have enough pot space?

Thanks for the advice Two sheds. Are patty pan squash really big? Should i just plant one in the centre of my 1metre raised bed do you think? Or plant my beans in the raised bed and then use a pot each for a patty pan and a courgette?
                          Last edited by pottymarigold; 06-05-2012, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X