No announcement yet.

Container Veggies thread

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would be interested to hear helgalush if the plants help with your veggies :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by GrowingVegRocks View Post
      I would be interested to hear helgalush if the plants help with your veggies :-)
      I honestly dont know if the book suggests these flowers to help with the crops or whether they are just there to make it look more attractive!!!

The carrots with the marigolds at the base seem to be thriving so far. Have no idea - its all just a big experiment to me!

Comment

• Apparently whitefly and aphids don't like the smell of the marigolds. They've always seemed to work for me (round the tomatoes) but maybe the pests wouldn't have come anyway - who knows!

With carrots it's probably the smell as well, because that's what carrot fly use to find them. If you plant onions and carrots together the smell of the onions is supposed to confuse the carrot fly and the carrot smell supposedly confuses the onion fly...
        The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sylvan View Post
          . If you plant onions and carrots together the smell of the onions is supposed to confuse the carrot fly and the carrot smell supposedly confuses the onion fly...
          Pity it doesnt work with slugs!! They munched through my spring onions, carrots radishes and marigolds!!

Still I dont have to worry about carrot root fly I supoose

Comment

• Hello everyone.
            Long time reader, just signed up though.

I started growing in containers last year.
            Had my back garden paved as it was tiny and difficult to maintain and to clean up after my dog...
            I bought some tub-trugs from a local garden centre approx. 18 inches in diameter and 18 inches deep as well.
            Last year I grew french beans, runner beans, tomatoes (countless!!!), potatoes, spring onions, peas, courgettes and parsnips, mostly with great success.
            The potatoes were a let down for me, and the peas were low cropping.
            Parsnips grew to about 5 inches in length, but were at least the same in diameter and not woody at all. Ate them with my christmas dinner!

This year I have grown tomatoes again, cucumbers, french beans (but slugs ate the emerging shoots...), and a sunflower for the birds.
            Been a bit busy this year as I got married in may, but the main reason for the low planting is that some little scroat stole my mini greenhouse, complete with seed trays and seedlings.

My main reason for posting is that I too have been growing a raspberry bush.
            I bought it last October as the garden centre said they are best overwintered to grow strong roots for the summer crop.
            They have come up brilliantly. Had to put a chicken wire 'fence' around the pot as my dog seemed to like the taste of the cut back winter shoots, but I now have a bumper crop of juicy raspberries, even though the variety is an autumn one.
            I'd recommend the tub-trugs for raspberries any day.

Anyway, I think i'd better stop writing as I seem to have filled half the screen! Oops...

Comment

• Originally posted by northepaul View Post
              Pity it doesnt work with slugs!! They munched through my spring onions, carrots radishes and marigolds!!

I saw an episode of Gardeners World some time ago, and they advocated putting any kind of greasy substance around the rim of the container to stop slugs and snails, and its worked fine for me
              Last edited by Davyburns; 14-07-2010, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Davyburns View Post
                I saw an episode of Gardeners World some time ago, and they advocated putting any kind of greasy substance around the rim of the container to stop slugs and snails, and its worked fine for me

As in vaseline ? I grow in raised beds and containers. I dont like slug pellets but have seen new ones on the market that still kill the slug but are not so toxic. Didn't buy them as i just go round collecting them and putting them in my green wheelie bin the buggers can survive in there .

Comment

• Originally posted by Topcat36 View Post
                  As in vaseline ? I grow in raised beds and containers. I dont like slug pellets but have seen new ones on the market that still kill the slug but are not so toxic. Didn't buy them as i just go round collecting them and putting them in my green wheelie bin the buggers can survive in there .
                  Fraid not,its onlyfor containers, it doesnt work on raised beds as there will be lots of slugs underground, and you will trap them in, so theyhave nowhere to go. (or so the program said)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X